age 21

Trying to gain info on a relatives great uncle any help appreciated, Geoff

Frederick William Morrey 44507

Private

Suffolk Regiment

2nd Battalion

Died 1/10/1918

age 21

On September 30th the Battalion move up into trenches between Ribecourt and Marcoing in readiness for the attack on Rumilly on the following morning.

The 2/Suffolks were on the left of the 76th Brigade attack which was only partially successful. The front and support trenches were strongly held by the enemy with machine-guns. However, over 300 prisoners were taken and many Germans killed. The left Company of the Suffolks had heavy casualties from front and flank machine-gun fire and had lost the barrage. The right Company, shielded by the contours of the ground, was able to drive through the village to a trench beyond. They killed and captured many more enemy. Casualties suffered: about 180, including 1 Oficer killed and 3 wounded

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am trying to find out about my Great-Grandfather. I have his diary and I think he served in this regiment - it reads

'

25325 Private F. Remington

2nd Batt. Suffolk(?) Regiment

In the 9th Batt. Rifle Brigade arrived in France the first time at Le Havre on the 30th May 1915. Wounded the 19th June 1915 admitted to the 12th Gen. Hospital, Rouen, the 21st June.

'

Any information would be most appreciated.

Remington 25325, cannot find any listing to this name & number, can you check it, or can another forum member find him ?

Firstly, thanks for getting back. The diary reads as it does but the Suffolk bit doesn't look like Suffolk it appears more as Suffold, or Luffold but it must be Suffolk I presume. Perhaps, due to the ageing of the print it says reserve as opposed an abbreviated regiment? As stated in his diary he states that he is in the 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade. I even have a rifle no. for him: 49553.

Having tried all the military records on Ancestry and tried multiple internet sites to look for rosters of either the Suffolk or the RB I am a bit stuck. He did survive, and died when I was about 10 (but not before telling me he was a machine gunner just to confuse matters although I presume most companys would have a crew).

I'd be most appreciative if anybody could find anything out but as of the 7th of December I shall be, hopefully, the custodian of his medals as I am visiting my Dad's cousin and he has promised them me. My username, Abraham Butler is from Thomas Abraham Butler who died at Cambrai and knew my GG mentioned above. His name, number and unit (1st/17th London Poplar and Stepney) is written in my GG.'s diary and they would have been brothers in law, as Cecil Remington married his sister, Alice Butler in 1919.

These are the only two RB F Remingtons i could find your probably best getting the name & numbers off the medals to further your research

Medal card of Remington, Frederick

Corps Regiment No Rank

Rifle Brigade 2478 Private

Labour Corps 512181 Private

Medal card of Remington, Francis

Corps Regiment No Rank

Rifle Brigade 5628 Private

King's Royal Rifle Corps 13134 Private