Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

REMEMBERING

ralphjd

In memory of 52147 Pte James William Butterworth 6th Batt Leicestershire Regt son of Robert and Elizabeth. Dixon Green Farm Milnrow kia 24-10 1918 age 35, also 2nd L/t Frank Blackburn 1/5th Batt East Lancs Regt 2nd son of Edward and Ann of Southport formerly Milnrow kia 24-10-1917 age 23. REST IN PEACE.

Rest in Peace James and Frank

Hi,

I have this on Frank Blackburn, can you add anything, please. What is the Milnrow connection;

Frank BLACKBURN

Second Lieutenant

5th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment

Died in Belgium on Wednesday 24 October 1917

Frank was the youngest son of Edward and Ann Blackburn of 10, Walmer Road, Birkdale, Southport.

He enlisted in the 7th Battalion, The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) in August 1914 as a Private with service number 2504 and was drafted to France on Sunday 7 March 1915.

Shortly afterwards Frank was promoted to Sergeant in the machine gun section and transferred to the East Lancashire Regiment with service number 265638. After 13 months service he was invalided to hospital near Bristol and then sent to Officer Training Corps at Oxford, gaining his commission in 3/5th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment on Tuesday 26 September 1916.

He transferred to the Machine Gun Corps and was drafted to the front on Saturday 4 August 1917 when he served in the 15th Machine Gun Company.

Frank was killed in action at 23 years of age and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial on Panel 77 to 79 and 163A.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme. Good morning. You are the first one EVER to respond with details on "my" soldiers from Milnrow. Frank was born here on the 23rd October 1894 and baptised at St James Church Milnrow on 12-12-1894, he was the son of Edward and Ann as you say who were married St James in 1881, he was the nephew of John Smith JP of Milnrow. He has an entry in Victoria Bannisters book Southports Splendid Hearts plus photo, his photo also appears the Rochdale Times dated 7-11-1917. He is commemorated on the Southport War Memorial Lord Street. Two sisters Alice and Florence and a brother Edgar, he was employed at a Liverpool cotton brokers prior to enlisting. His panel commemoration on Tyne Cot is 77. Regards Ralph.

Edit:- Graeme, can I use bits of the the information you have posted for my book please. With acknowledgement of course.Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

Use whatever you need. No need for acknowledgements, we are all here to help one another.

The 1901 census adds that they resided at 111, Bolton Road, Birkdale and his father was a commercial traveller in wines and spirits.

Regards,

Graeme