Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mametz Wood Welsh Dragon Memorial.

Freeminer

Mametz Wood.

9f34c4bee355f70b3015112ea7dac2be0_large.38d8ec0a9dcac3ab298857cbe2c639fa0_large.

0a80054720da286de10ab87fffc12dfa0_large.

Taking your life in your hands David , "Disney" !!! :rolleyes: Just wait until Geraint returns, although I think other "Taffs" will be sending you their old lava bread & the likes, I should hide out for a day or two :o

Colin

I have Welsh roots - I lived in Wales - I understand not liking it....it's the gawdy glossy red I can't bear !?!

I always photograph it against a bright blue sky so that the image comes out in silhouette....much better.

If only it were brass/green ! - 'cus afterall all dragons were green.

My wife refers to it as the 'Plastic memorial'.

I'll be there next Friday to pay my respects.

Was this not in the last Harry Potter film ? Have to agree with Moston, the red looks a bit too new, would a gunbarrel color not have been better. Like the size on it.

Peter

I have Welsh roots - I lived in Wales - I understand not liking it....it's the gawdy glossy red I can't bear !?!

I always photograph it against a bright blue sky so that the image comes out in silhouette....much better.

If only it were brass/green ! - 'cus afterall all dragons were green.

My wife refers to it as the 'Plastic memorial'.

I'll be there next Friday to pay my respects.

I just checked the Welsh Flag and the one on there is still Red. Its a symbol for Wales and even though I am English, I think its a wonderful memorial. Unlike a certain Scottish "Piper" memorial which, I think is dreadful.

And just to anger the people who hate the redness of it, Here's another picture I took and I think its splendid !

post-25326-1224849755.jpg

I like it.

I like the caribou too. Plus Vimy. And others.

Not keen on the Piper.

Bernard

From up to Mametz

'Added to the burden of fatigue and grief we were governed by a dark feeling of personal failure. Mametz Wood was taken, but not by us, it seemed; we were the rejected of Destiny, men whose services were not required. The dead were the chosen, and Fate had forgotten us in its eager clutching at the men who fell; they were the richer prize. They captured Mametz Wood, and in it they lie'.

Yes a MEMORIAL

The 38th Division losses at Mametz Wood:

Killed 46 Officers 556 other ranks

Wounded 138 Officers 2,668 other ranks

Missing 6 Officers 579 other ranks

Total 190 Officers 3,803 other ranks

Welsh, thoroughly proud of it, also of my mother tongue, and of my 'Disney' dragon. And to to the memory of all those who will not come home. That this 'Disney' dragon MEMORIAL honours.

Kevin

These are the medals & Plaque to Pte Henry Jones from Resolven, KIA somtime between 9-12 July 1916, commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial and probably still in or near the wood. I'm sure that at the time opinions differed on the designs, even though still all honoured their memories.

I was not able to visit the memorial last time there, it's first on the list next time.

/Lars

_9A_0010-1.jpg

10A_0011-1.jpg

Jonesplaque-1.jpg

Freeminer

Thanks for posting the photos.

Others.

It is red because the Welsh Dragon is red. It always has been red and not any other colour as those suggested above. It was red way before the time of the Saxon invasion (they then went on to form a country called England) and some tales are told of a fight between it and the Saxon white dragon (symbolical of course).

Rather fitting then that a dragon commemorating those of a Welsh Division lost would be red

and not some other colour to please the occasional person who may gaze upon it and not know it's meanin, whether they have Welsh roots and lived in Wales' or not.

Would anyone like to dare say that the Union Flag should be yellow.black and orange or the canadian maple leaf should be a bright pink etc etc so as to be more pleasing on the eye?

Hywyn

Hywyn, you forgot to mention that this battle between the Red Dragon of Wales, (fought near Dinas Emrys, Nantgwynant), ended with the slaying of the White Dragon (but of course what else but, white. Not a Brass/Green, nor a Gunbarell colour but White) dragon of the Saxons (symbolic of course).

In RESPECT, and to the memory of the 3,993 of whom 1187, did not return.

'Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed'.

And finnaly the last verse of MY NATIONAL ANTHEM

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,

Mae hen iaith y Gymry mor fyw ag erioed,

Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,

Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

Hwyl

Kevin

As an officer of the Swansea Battalion told a gathering of ex-comrades at a reunion dinner held in Swansea in 1936:

"The Swansea Battalion did a great many things in the war - but the hardest thing it ever did was attack Mametz Wood". This of a battalion that was engaged on the first day of Third Ypres and was in almost continual action in the advance to victory in 1918...

I cannot imagine a Welshman whose heart would not swell at the sight of the dragon and the story of what the Welsh Division achieved in July 1916.

Bernard

I like the dragon, it depicts exactly what it represents. Unlike the Sheffield Park 'wall' which looks like an unfinished bricklaying assessment at one of my evening classes.

Mick

Sorry Mick but I have to pull you up on your comment about the "unfinished bricklaying assessment", I quote Paul Reed's explanation which I feel sums up exactly what is is supposed to represent.

"The Memorial was erected in the 1980s in the Sheffield Memorial Park, just behind one of the jumping off trenches from where the Accrington Pals advanced on 1st July. It is made from Accrington brick, and the ruin wall symbolises the ruined village of Serre".

There's not alot Accrington is famous for however "nori brick" is something we were proud of and so the brick wall is perfect for what is represents.

Mark

I also like the "Dragon" and what it symbolises.

The dragons fine in my eyes and is a memorial to those that gave their all ,who cares what it looks like or come to think of it what any memorial looks like ,soon be shouting if there was no memorial at all

Tafski

ps great pics

Mark pull me up as much as you want, I'm always willing to discuss and one persons opinion is as valid as the next, I still think it looks like a poorly built wall.

Tafski, I agree but the memorial still needs to reflect what it represents. If the memorial ends up looking cheap and becomes a talking point for the wrong reasons then surely it no longer performs its function.

Mick

I wonder what would have happened if Sir Edwin Lutyens had submitted it as a design? He would have remained Edwin Lutyens.

Mick

Not aproblem Mick

everyone entitled to their opinion, in my eyes the dragon maybe of modern design but i dont think it cheap and nastie and also if it makes people talk may make them think as well

yours in friendship

Tafski

After sleeping in a cemetery one night,going to the dragon on the pals trip later the same morning,walking the valley & seeing the dragon all on high with the morning sun upon it,seeing the German wire crushed in its claws,well.

A sobering sight.

Red or green.I love it.

Mark pull me up as much as you want, I'm always willing to discuss and one persons opinion is as valid as the next, I still think it looks like a poorly built wall.

Mick

Fair comment, we'll just agree to disagree..

Mark