Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres/Arras

Ali Hollington

We're off to Ieper/Arras for a long w/end next week. Spending two days at each, is anyone aware of any special events on during this time?

Ali

Ali,

The Last Post at the Menin Gate is a special, not-to-be-missed event, and it's on every night. Other than that I'm not aware of any specific events on whilst you are there. What do you plan to see/do during your trip?

Regards,

Ken

Plan to see in Flanders Fields, then sanctuary wood, poss. hooge and then menin gate day1, tyne cot + langemarck on day2 and at some point would like to visit Brandhoek cmty. Once we've moved over to Arras it becomes less planned, one of group has a relative buried in Dainville cmtry, he was killed nearby so plan to try and find the rough area. After this has been left free to plan once we're there, I quite fancy a short excursion onto the Somme, its likely we'll visit Vimy ridge so not wanting to try and fit in to much it will be a case of see how it goes.

Any ideas?

Ali.

Ali

IMHO I think you should go to Ploegsteert (Plugstreet)

Also, there have been recent postings about Vimy. I think you should read them before you go.

have a good trip

Sounds like you are putting Sanctuary Wood ahead of Hooge Museum, 95% of us would recommend you reverse that if not going to both.

Mt Kemmel area is on your way to Arras so is the Bluff, both good stops as is Plugstreet Wood, quite a good walk, presume you have Holt's Guide, if not get it with map. You could so easily spend this amount of time in Salient alone but nothing wrong with doing both. Have a good time.

Sounds like you are putting Sanctuary Wood ahead of Hooge Museum, 95% of us would recommend you reverse that if not going to both.

I agree if you can't do both; Hooge.

Thanks for the advice, we're booked on an early ferry crossing, so hopefully will get to Ypres at a reasonable time, (unlike on a coach day trip last year 1600hrs arrival!).

So if time goes well I hope to go to both Hooge + sanctuary wood, keen to go to hooge as I have already visited sanctuary wood once, but it would be good to go back as the light was failing (still, quite atmospheric).

As to stops on the way to Arras, I would like to stop off at Plugstreet on the way. One of my travelling companions is interested in the mining operations in Messine area, I've got the Holts book and they have a little mini tour of the area, but I would be keen to hear any suggestions, worth doing? best places to see?

Ali

In one of the cemeteries in the Plugstreet Wood, Rifle House? is 15 year old Jewish pre war Rifle Brigade man, Reuben or Robert Barnet, much visited grave.

Check out the expressions on the lions faces at the nearby New Berks Cemetery Extension, amusing in a way, one calm, one don't f**k with me!

You will also go right by prettiest momorial on the front to Indians at La Targette near Nueve Chapelle unless you are foolish & get on 4 lane auto route.

memorials & cemeteries are in a place for a reason, check the registers.