Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Africans In Egypt during WW!

reklaw

My grandfather is a mystery, doing his genealogy has been a real dead end. In an old newspaper clipping it said

"...enlisted in WW1, and saw service in Egypt and later was drafted to France. He was severely wounded during the battle of Delville Wood and was discharged from the army in February 1918"

It also says he was a member of the 1st South African Overseas Brigade Association after the war.

My conundrum is as follows. I do not find his military attestation papers in South Africa. He was born in South Africa (or so it says), could he have enlisted in a British unit as a South African? were there any that were involved in Egypt during WW1 that may have had South Africans in it? I have to admit I was not even aware that there were any major actions in Egypt during WW1.

Problem number 2, I do not see his name on any of the muster roles of Delville Wood either. I suspect he used an assumed name because his family was not very keen on his signing up, even though he was in the age bracket to sign up legally without fibbing about his age. It is also possible that he served with another unit not part of the main infantry forces (MP's, medics etc?).

Does anybody have any information about South African involvement in Egypt? or could shed any light on my grandfather who was Herbert Turner (but who may have been somebody else too), or even point me in a direction. bear in mind I am in South Africa so quick trips to Kew are out of the qestion.

With thanks

Derek.

Bonjour,

After training and equipment in England in 1915, the 1st South African Infantry Brigade served in Egypt on the Western frontier against the Senussi.

The Brigade was sent in France in April joining the 9th Scottish Division.

The name of your grandfather is not on the Roll Call of the Brigade on the 14th July, first day of the battle of Delville Wood. He was may be wounded during the first engagements of the brigade in the Somme some days before (Bernafay and Trônes Wood) or served under an another name.

The official website of Delville wood is www.delvillewood.com.

Cordialement

Dédé :lol:

As Dede says, the SA Bde was in Egypt - although they had arrived in England bu November, 1915, they were sent back to Africa to assist with the defences of the Canal Zone.

However, a "religious fraternity" existed in north Libya - the Senussi. In late 1915 they started a campaign of raiding and looting against British-controlled Egypt, leading to a force of about 5,000 Senussi attacking the British around Mersah Matruh. By early 1916, a force had been assembled to deal with the situation, and a short, b ut successful, campaign closed by mid-March, with the Senussi leader captured (and all their artillery). The SA Bde returned to the Canal area, and by the end of March was on its way to France.

John Buchan's The South African Forces in France has a chapter on the campaign, which is interesting. I suspect the book might be available as a reprint.