Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Glosters 21 July 1916

brimacombe

Currently researching and compiling the biographies of the 36 men from Holsworthy who gave their lives during WWI.

Amongst them was Richard Tape (formerly of Holsworthy, Devon) who died of wounds on 22nd July 1916, having recieved them the previous day when the 1/6th Glosters were involved in an attack on the German lines to the north of Ovillers during the early hours of 21st July.

'A' Company captured & then lost the same barricade twice during the night, although another strong-point nearby was taken & held by 3.45 a.m.

Capt. G.E. Elliott, OC 'B' Coy., & 9 ORs were killed, 2 2/Lt's (1 died of wounds on the 22nd) & 83 ORs wounded, & 9 missing.

I have been unable to find hardly any other information regarding the above attack - can anyone help??

Any information would be gratefully recieved...

• 3 months later...
Currently researching and compiling the biographies of the 36 men from Holsworthy who gave their lives during WWI.

Amongst them was Richard Tape (formerly of Holsworthy, Devon) who died of wounds on 22nd July 1916, having recieved them the previous day when the 1/6th Glosters were involved in an attack on the German lines to the north of Ovillers during the early hours of 21st July.

'A' Company captured & then lost the same barricade twice during the night, although another strong-point nearby was taken & held by 3.45 a.m.

Capt. G.E. Elliott, OC 'B' Coy., & 9 ORs were killed, 2 2/Lt's (1 died of wounds on the 22nd) & 83 ORs wounded, & 9 missing.

I have been unable to find hardly any other information regarding the above attack - can anyone help??

Any information would be gratefully recieved...

The information I have come across in the Gallantry awards to the Gloucestershire Regiment in ww1 (by Peter Littlewood) are as follows: On 20th July the battalion relieved the 1/4th Gloucesters on the north side of Orvillers and that night attacked the German line 500 yards north of the village. A company successfully captured their objective by 03.00 hours. However the enemy started to bomb down the trench line and suceeded in regaining part of the line. Reserves were immediately sent up and the trench was captured once more. C company who had also taken their objective were subjected to a counter attack, which was beaten off with heavy casualties being inflicted on the enemy. Meanwhile B company supported by D company were less successful and encountered machine gun fire from both flanks. The two leading platoons suffered a number of casualties and were unable to close on the German line. Capt GE Elliott commanding B company was killed whilst 2/Lt AR Smith died of his wounds the following day and despite their gains the battalion was forced to withdraw."

Excuse my typos. Hope this illucidates!

Mark T B)

• 7 years later...
Guest CPO Elliott

Capt Elliott was my Great-Uncle (my father's father's younger brother).  I had someone in the UK do some research and he was able to access Capt Elliott's record. I will try to post the photos of the appropriate documents here on the thread.  I don't know if you are still checking this thread, but thanks anyway.  I've been trying to find as much information as I can about my Great Uncle, and especially now as the 100th anniversary of his death draws near.  I had hoped to make it to the battlefield for this anniversary, but it was not to be.  I was career military in the US Navy, so the sacrifice of all the soldiers there is very meaningful to me.  (I'm sorry that I don't remember the gentleman's name because he did very good and prompt work.  If I can find his name I will post it.)  

• 4 weeks later...

Always interested in 1/6 Gloucs in 1916. My grandfather(-in-law) served 2 July to 13 October before escaping with a leg wound and a commendation from the RWK for some reason.

Cheers,

SMJ