Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barham practice trenches on Google earth

domsim

From my local knowledge - but not having seen either....

Practice trenches exist extensively in Norsey Wood, Billericay. Google earth isn't much good as it's...er...a 'wood'.

Practice trenches also exist at Ipswich Golf course.

Simon.

Martin B - get your ass down here to ESSSSSEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXX soon.

Not sure if these are WW1 practice trenches, but if so they survived a lot of WW2 developments around the area - did they have such a trench in WW2 ?

4011571332_0fc116ea86_b.jpg

4011571324_6b8028f153_b.jpg

On another site that deals with pillboxes, there has been mentioned about WW1 and WW2 trenches in the same area at Dover. If you walk the area you come across defensive positions from the Cold War and back to the Bronze Age all mixed together. Some of these excavations could well be from WW1 as Dover was fortified with trenches during that period.

The strangest trenches I found were in Scadbury Manor in Chislehurst. These were a section of trenches that resembled those from WW1 and related to the position of the Manor, there were also possibly a number of shell holes. After asking a local archeoligist, it was explained the Manor was owned by the local Home Guard Commander. The area was surrowned by a number of fire trenches and even a possible Resistance Hide. They never knew of the trench system and had missed it during their field walks. I suppose it would have been excavated by Home Guard Soldiers who were just doing the same as they has 22 year before.

• 2 years later...

Hi all just of a matter of interest here is the practice trenches as they were in the Curragh Camp county Kildare Ireland still very visible.

Regards Martin

post-12731-0-61680900-1322941455.jpg

Hi all just of a matter of interest here is the practice trenches as they were in the Curragh Camp county Kildare Ireland still very visible.

Regards Martin

Hi Martin,

I am planning on doing my dissertation on the trenches at the Curragh next year for my MA at University of Bristol.

We had a brief chat about it at the Postgraduate conference in Conflict Archaeology at the University of Bristol. It would be good to have another chat

about it sometime.

Cheers

Des

Hi Des,

Best of luck with your dissertatation. If I can be of any help let me know glad to help. Spent many years there.

regards martin

Hi Martin,

I am planning on doing my dissertation on the trenches at the Curragh next year for my MA at University of Bristol.

We had a brief chat about it at the Postgraduate conference in Conflict Archaeology at the University of Bristol. It would be good to have another chat

about it sometime.

Cheers

Des

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If you look at Thiepval on Google Earth you can see some of the Trenches and looking around some of the Somme gives good results. Google Earth is the best to use because it is better quality.

Ellen :poppy:

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely out of period and I am not sure how useful but my family are from Dover and my father at that time lived in Barham and he remembers the Canadians in WW2 digging trenches around Barham - he especially remembers a tiny railway which moved targets about - something to do with the target moving into and out of cover.

Yperman