Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Royal Warwickshire Numbers Experts?

londons

I hope someone may be able to help or make some suggestions with respect to my great grandfather Pte David Martin Vincent No.269365. His medal roll states 1st RWR as his first record in June 1917. Prior to this all I know is that he was with the 6th London Rifles from before the outbreak of the War. The theatre of operations show that his time with 1st RWR was Egypt and Palestine and after the 1st RWR he was with the Labour Corps and then finally the 10th Londons where he was KIA in 1918.

Could he have been with the RWR in the UK prior to his number in 1917? He lived in London all his life and there is no knowledge of him being posted to the Western Front. He did have extremely poor eyesight and also a son born in 1916. I don't know however what he may have been doing from the outbreak to June 1917 or at which time and why his switch to the 1st RWR.

Did the 1st RWR ever go to Egypt or Palestine? Maybe the 1st RWR was actually the 1st Garrison Battalion RWR? I believe they went to Egypt. If it was the 1st Gn Bn RWR would it have been possible that he served in the UK initially with another RWR Bn and not have a number as he wasn't posted overseas?

I hope someone may be able to make some suggestions and that his number may help explain the missing years.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Lee

This may confuse you even more

269365 is a number issued to the 7th Battalion of the Royal Warwicks in March 1917. That says two things to me: one, he did not go overseas before then. Two: he probably trained with 7th Reserve Battalion.

He would have had a shorter number while serving with 6th Londons. My guess is that he was time-expired with that battalion (that is, his four years service was up). He was then re-enlisted as a conscript under the Military Service Act and sent to 7th Reserve Warwicks for training.

You are quite right in saying that 1st Warwicks never went anywhere other than France. 1st Garrison Battalion went to Egypt in late 1915 and remained there (and going in Palestine).

Someone may be able to comment on his Labour Corps number 360789.

His final number 424457 was issued for use by the 10th Londons in March 1917. 1/10th served in Palestine and as you know David died there in 1918.

This may confuse you even more

269365 is a number issued to the 7th Battalion of the Royal Warwicks in March 1917. That says two things to me: one, he did not go overseas before then. Two: he probably trained with 7th Reserve Battalion.

He would have had a shorter number while serving with 6th Londons. My guess is that he was time-expired with that battalion (that is, his four years service was up). He was then re-enlisted as a conscript under the Military Service Act and sent to 7th Reserve Warwicks for training.

You are quite right in saying that 1st Warwicks never went anywhere other than France. 1st Garrison Battalion went to Egypt in late 1915 and remained there (and going in Palestine).

Someone may be able to comment on his Labour Corps number 360789.

His final number 424457 was issued for use by the 10th Londons in March 1917. 1/10th served in Palestine and as you know David died there in 1918.

Thank you very much Chris,

I think he was medically unfit also and thats why his first posting was to a Gn Bn and then Labour Corps. I think by mid to late 1918 Allenby had lost so many men to the western front that medically unfit men were then upgraded and put in the infantry.

Do you have any knowledge of the 7th Warks movements in the UK up to June 1917?

Many thanks again,

Lee

7th Reserve Battalion was formed in Coventry in May 1915, originally known as 3/7th Bn. Soon moved to Weston-super-Mare. Renamed on 8 April 1916 and moved to Ludgershall on Salisbury Plain.

7th Reserve Battalion was formed in Coventry in May 1915, originally known as 3/7th Bn. Soon moved to Weston-super-Mare. Renamed on 8 April 1916 and moved to Ludgershall on Salisbury Plain.

Thanks again Chris