Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Battalion Northamptonshires

OpsMajor

You will probaly pick this up Steve but am sending it as a separate post as it's about a different Battalion.

I am now trying to trace (it seems to be more difficult to find someone who wasn't KIA) a chap who, I understand, was in the 4th Battalion BUT who returned home to Northamptonshire - any ideas as to how I trace someone who wasn't killed?

Krs

Mike

It's always better to keep enquiries about different men on dufferent topics. It stops us getting even more confused than we are already!

A name usually help when we're researching though! :D

Plus any other details you might have.

Steve.

Dhoh! Sorry Steve - I was more concerned in following protocol!

All I have from the 'Roll of Honour' in our church is Sydney Mills from our village, Quinton, and the fact that he returned home

Krs

Mike

Here's the Quinton Section of the 1918 Northamptonshire Absent Voters List (Daventry Section, Wootton District)

It identifies Sydney as:

post-6536-1224712007.jpg

Medal card of Mills, Sydney

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northamptonshire Regiment 203111 Private

Royal Sussex Regiment G/32507 Private

Since the AVL describes him as with the 4th Reserve battalion, then he may not have gone overseas by then, or alternatively he may have been overseas and then gone back to the Reserve battalion after illness or injury. The fact that he is listed on the medal card as going overseas with a 7-digit number suggests that he went overseas after the changeover of Territorial numbers in the spring of 1917.

Since he later served in the Royal Sussex Regiment, I don't have a medal roll page for him. His medal card shows entitlement to British War Medal and Victory Medal (Royal Sussex Regiment Roll E/2/101B13 page 2748)

I've only just got back in tonight, so I'll try and make some time to have a further delve tomorrow.

I presume that Walter Mills is his brother? And another familiar name on there...

Steve.

Steve

Can a mere Corporal recommend a long serving Lieut-General for a field promotion!? What a fantastic source of information you are!

You will see from my other posts that I am trying to get the details of all 9 soldiers from Quinton who returned from WW1 (as you know Matthews W and Tyson W didn't) for our Remembrance Day Service. The AVL you have posted (what a document!) helps tremendously (as other colleagues in the forum have) but it is missing 2 names: another brother - Gnr(?) Alfred Raine of RHA (possibly #37215 or 72244) and Reginald Godley - MT ACS (possibly MS1557). Why would they not be on the AVL?

Krs

Mike

Possibly because they had already served and had been discharged (and would be on the "non-absent" voters registers) or because they were under voting age (generally 21) at the time of the December 1918 General Election.

The AVL's were compiled throughout the months running up to the election so are probably more representative of spring/summer 1918 than the winter of 1918.

Steve.