Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCLI officer?

OpsMajor

I'm trying to obtain any information on Drogo E.M. Polwhele who was discharged owing to illness consequent on active service. He was the son of the local vicar so could have been an officer.

Any help most welcome

thanks

Mike

Evening

Has to take top prize in the other thread of spiffing names. Gets my vote anyway.

Thought it was a prank post for a minute.

post-24943-1224699916.jpg

No offence.

Regards

David

David

Many thanks; as you say if we couldn't find him with a name like that (and now 'Baskerville' too!) we weren't trying!

Being new to this I would appreciate it if you could explain some of the information - did he get any medals, was he discharged owing to illness (from where/when) what was his army number, did he only serve in Egypt, etc.

Sorry to ask so many things - your response has thrown up more questions than it answered!

Krs

Mike

Not a problem

Yes he qualified for medals - Officers had to apply for them, other ranks had them sent out- Hence the correspondence address on the lower image (back of the card).

In this case the 'British War' and 'Victory' medals.- middle left has the 'roll index' numbers held at Kew, which also holds officer's service records.

The key entry regarding a wound is the 'SWB' entry lower left - 'Silver War Badge' and roll entry - this shows he was wounded badly enough to be discharged.

Below that it is recorded that he entered 'Egypt' as his first theatre of war in July 1916.

Also his date of commission is there.

Link for you re the full card interpretation.

http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm

regards

David

LONDON GAZETTE, 26 NOVEMBER, 1915

The Northamptonshire Regiment.

Drogo Edward Baskerville Polwhele to be temporary Second Lieutenant. Dated 18th November, 1915

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 JUNE, 1916

Essex R.

Temp. 2nd Lt. D. E. B. Polwhele, from North'n R., to be temp. 2nd Lt. 21 May 1916, but with seniority from 18 Nov. 1915.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 28 NOVEMBER, 1917

Essex R.

Temp. 2nd Lt. D. E. B. Polwhele to be temp. Lt. 1 July 1917

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 12 DECEMBER, 1917

D. of Corn. L.I.

Temp. Lt. D. E. B. Polwhele, from Essex R., to be temp. Lt. (attd.). 13 Dec. 1917, with seniority 1 July 1917.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 16 FEBRUARY, 1918

D. of Corn. L.I.

Temp. Lt. (attd.) D. E. B. Polwhele relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. 17 Feb. 1918.

I've had a quick look through the History of the DCLI for the battalions "out east" at the time, but no mention that I can see.

Family info:

Drogo Edward Baskerville POLWHELE born Hardingstone district (covers Quinton), Northants, Q1 1897.

1901 Census

The Rectory, Quinton, Northants

POLWHELE Arthur B, Head, 42, Clergyman (CofE), born Saltash, Corwall (Arthur Baskerville, b St Germans Q4 1858, d Northampton Q2 1926 age 67)

POLWHELE Mary R, Wife, 39, born Studley, Wilts (Mary Robinson PORTER, b Melksham Q4 1861, m Birmingham Q2 1888)

POLWHELE Mary J M, Dau, 12, born Quinton (Mary Jessie M, b Hardingstone Q2 1889, m Capt. Daniel Stirling COOPER, RAMC, in Hardingstone Q2 1918)

POLWHELE Marjorie E, Dau, born Quinton (Marjorie Ethel, b Hardingstone Q3 1890, m Lt.Cdr. Gerard Brook RILEY, Royal Navy, in Hardingstone Q2 1914)

POLWHELE Drogo E B, Son, born Quinton

PORTER Sophie L[etitia] M A, Sister-in-Law, Single, 27, born Birmingham

LAMBERT Moneda E, Visitor, Single, 32, born Anglesay

+ 2 servants (housemaid & cook)

Drogo married Maud Helen RUSSELL in Marylebone Q2 1921 (she was born 28/9/1898 in Weymouth, died August 1987 in Worthing, West Sussex)

Son Otho R POLWHELE born Hardingstone Q1 1922

From papers in the Divorce and Matrimonial Causes Files at the NA, it seems they were divorced in 1928.

He then married Dorothea Maud HIDES (born Eccleshall Q4 1897) in Doncaster in Q4 1928, and they divorced in 1935.

I can't find a death registration for Drogo between 1935 and present.

Adrian