Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte George Burnett Roberts Army Service Corps

syd

I am seeking information about my grandfather, George Burnett Roberts. He was born in the Tiverton area of Devon in March 1898 and served with the Army Service Corps in the Great War. He lived in Newton St Cyres, near Exeter after the war and died in 1948 - ten years before I was born. He had four children: my father Sydney George Roberts, Dick Roberts, Vera and Margaret Roberts. My grandfather's grave is in Newton St Cyres cemetery. I am trying to establish his army serial no. and war medals. I hope someone out there can help me.

burnett

If we took the date into France on his MIC there was only one Division did that in Dec 1915 and that was the 16th (Irish). I am not saying that he went over as part of the Division,for a lot of troops went after as reinforcements etc.but it might be the way he went.

I seem to recall that it is not easy to find the specific unit for ASC from the original Medal Rolls,or it just might be my luck not to have got any help from that source ! All those numbers and letters at top right of the MIC will lead you to these Rolls,stored in the series WO329.

If he did go with the 16th Div the ASC units attached to that were 142,143,144 and 145 Companies ASC. You might be lucky to get some confirmation from the War Diary,at Kew in the WO95 series. I will get you the number later,if I can find it ! If you are lucky you can flesh out his service activity.

Sotonmate

burnett

If we took the date into France on his MIC there was only one Division did that in Dec 1915 and that was the 16th (Irish). I am not saying that he went over as part of the Division,for a lot of troops went after as reinforcements etc.but it might be the way he went.

I seem to recall that it is not easy to find the specific unit for ASC from the original Medal Rolls,or it just might be my luck not to have got any help from that source ! All those numbers and letters at top right of the MIC will lead you to these Rolls,stored in the series WO329.

If he did go with the 16th Div the ASC units attached to that were 142,143,144 and 145 Companies ASC. You might be lucky to get some confirmation from the War Diary,at Kew in the WO95 series. I will get you the number later,if I can find it ! If you are lucky you can flesh out his service activity.

Sotonmate

Burnett

The War Diary for all the ASC Companies 142 to 145 is at Kew under WO95/1968 and runs from Dec 1915 to may 1919.

That is not to say it is the one for your GF,it just might be if we are to take the date on his MIC as his being with the Division when it crossed for the first time.

Sotonmate