Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli - Dardanelles - Army Chaplains

Audax

While searching the East Anglian newspapers I came across an article about a talk the Rev. C. Pierrepont Edwards MC gave, at St Peters Church Sudbury, about his experiences in Gallipoli and Egypt.

The talk lasted about 2 hours and then a collection was made, for the Suffolk Prisoners of War Fund, which amounted to over £7.

If it's of interest, I'll go back and copy the whole article - the journalist's recollections of the talk.

Edited to add the date of the talk was September 18th 1916.

CGM :)

Hello Ray and Joanna,

I'm sorry it's taken longer than I promised, but I have a copy of this article now. (I've been waiting for an injured ankle to heal.)

While I work out how to scan the photocopy so I can e-mail it, here's a transcript to read.

I've inserted the paragraph breaks, to make it a bit easier to follow on the screen.

From the Essex County Standard, West Suffolk Gazette and Eastern Counties Standard September 23rd 1916.

THE REV. C. PIERREPONT EDWARDS, M.C., ON HIS EXPERIENCES IN GALLIPOLI AND EGYPT.

INTERESTING ADDRESS AT SUDBURY.

On Monday evening, September18, a large congregation assembled at St. Peter's Church, Sudbury, to hear an address by the Vicar of West Mersea, the Rev. C. Pierrepont Edwards, M.C., Chaplain to the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, on his experiences in Gallipoli and Egypt, the offertory being devoted to the Suffolk Prisoners of War Help Fund.

The Rev. Pierrepont Edwards said that what they had gone through in Gallipoli taught them that all shams disappeared when they were face to face with death. It is a glorious page, he said, in the history of your town, your county, and our common heritage, and our Imperial heritage. He commenced his narrative from the time the 5th Suffolks joined up with the 4th and 5th Norfolks and the 8th Hampshires to form the 163rd or the Norfolk and Suffolk Brigade. When Colonel Armes, one of the best, with joy in his voice and brightness in his eyes, told the news that at last they were going out, all was excitement. On the huge ship there were eight battalions, besides the various staff – practically 8,000 men on one ship.

He described the landing, the taking of a line of outposts, and how the accidental discharge of a rifle wounded three men and one of the officers. The spirit of the East Anglian soldiers was shown in many ways. He described how, when under heavy shell fire, they calmly went to a well to fill their water-bottles; and how the Suffolks went out to take an important village – they stepped out as if on parade. Many fell; still they pushed on, some of them under Col. Armes reaching the village. But they had to fall back into a shallow, deadly trench, 14 inches deep. He described the bravery, the fortitude of our men in spite of sickness and suffering, want of food, in spite of the heat and flies. Still they held on.

You may be proud, he said, of what our boys did there. Four solid months they stuck it, though attacked with dysentery. The spirit and self-sacrifice of the sick and wounded men were splendid. Major Dixon was one of those brave spirits; who held on to duty long after he should have been in hospital, and he paid the penalty of his courage with his life. The rev. gentleman traced the movements and related the fortunes of the Suffolks from time to time. Sergt. Hunt, another brave soldier, was buried forty or fifty yards from the front line trench. They were never out of the danger of bullets and shells; communion and confirmation services were held on the side of a hill, close to the Turkish trenches, and the services had to be spoken in a whisper.

He conducted the funeral of a son whose father was the chief mourner – what a lesson to some of the men who had claimed exemption. He acknowledged the kindness of Colonel Armes and all the officers of the division to which he was chaplain. When food was short, and the health conditions were about as bad as they could be, nobody complained, and everybody was cheerful, and only when it was impossible to bear it any longer did the men give in and allow themselves to be taken to hospital.

Then there was the experience in Egypt, with the repetition of the hardships, with the addition of sandstorms and worse flies. He gave some advice to those at home – home that was continually in the thoughts of the boys far away. Send them long, chatty letters, with all the details possible, for they hungered for the news for home and devoured it when they got it.

In conclusion he said:- "As long as my life shall last, the kindness, the goodness, the loving consideration, and the sympathy of my own dear boys in the 163rd Brigade will be a sweet memory to me."

The address lasted about two hours. The collection amounted to over £7.

---~---

CGM

Cheers CGM

Look forward to the complete article.

Regards

Ray

I have managed to get Charles Dobson's File (what's left of it) from Archives New Zealand. ... Will post to this thread as well if you like, though the file gives little information before 1916.

Audax, I made the promise above months ago! Charles Dobson's war file is digitised on the NZ Archives website. You can read it via this link. - with the search 'Charles James Hamilton Dobson'. I tried posting the link directly to the brief description to save you the bother of doing a search, but it wasn't having it.

With apologies for taking so long!

Joanna

• 2 months later...

Little bit more on Frederick Henry Campion, who was at Gallipoli.

New College Oxford BA 1895, MA 1908. Studied at Wells Theolog. Coll. 1897. Deacon 1898 and Priest 1899 Lichfield.

Church of St Mary at Handsworth 1898 - 1901. Went to New South Wales to Dubbo 1901-04. Principal of the Brother of the Good Shepherd Dio. Bath NSW 1904-08. Rector of West Grinstead 1908-16.

T.C.F. 1914-1919.

Vicar of Leigh 1916-30.

Still living 1948. [rural dean of Petworth 1932-45]

Chaplain William Joseph Finn, with 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers

I came across this

FINN, Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. William Joseph. died who died on 25 April 1915. As the boats drew nearer to the beach the awful hail of machine gun and rifle fire, together with shrapnel, took its toll. Father Finn, in the same boat as the Commanding Officer, leapt over the side to go to the assistance of wounded and dying men. His clothes were ripped with bullets and he was hit. Despite the pain he endured, he was seen crawling about the beach talking quietly to the RDF and trying to give Absolution to those close to death. This was not without the greatest difficulty, as one account states, as he had to hold his wounded right arm up with his left.

He suffered from loss of blood and eventually exhaustion, end eye witness accounts attest that within a short time he was killed by shrapnel "A total of 172 padres were killed in the Great War, 16 of whom were Irish. Fr Finn was the first padre of the war to be killed, he died at Gallipoli having ignored an order not to go ashore with the troops. He was serving with the 1st Dublin Fusiliers. Before the V beach landing he had asked to be allowed to accompany the Dublins into what became an infamous massacre. He is reputed to have said, 'The priest's place is beside the dying soldier; I must go'.

He certainly spent a considerable part of the day beside dying soldiers as there was an abundance of them at V Beach. He attempted to save a number of drowning and wounded men before being hit himself, in the right arm. He managed to get ashore and crawled around the beach offering help or consolation to the wounded and dying Dublins and Munsters. In order to give absolution he had to hold up an injured right arm with his left. While he was blessing one of the men in this fashion, there was a shrapnel burst above him which blew part of his skull away.

He was buried on the beach and his grave marked with a cross made out of an ammunition box 'To the Memory of the Revd Capt. Finn'" His father and mother came from a place called Aghamore, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo. Buried V Beach Cemetery.

Chaplain William Joseph Doyle with 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers

DOYLE, WILLIAM JOSEPH GABRIEL, M.C., 8th Battalion. Chaplain to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, youngest. s. of Hugh Doyle, of Melrose. Dalkey, co. Dublin ; b. Dalkey aforesaid, 3 March. 1873 : educ. Katehffe College, Leicester ; became a member of the Society of Jesus in 1891 : was ordained by the Archbishop of Dublin in 1907 ; volunteered his services after the outbreak of war. being gazetted in Nov. 1915 ; served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders from the following Feb.. and was killed in action at Ypres 17 Aug. 1917. Buried on the Frazenberg Ridge. General Hickie wrote : " He was loved and reverenced by u-4 all. His gallantry, self-sacrifice and devotion to duty were all so well known and recognized. I think that his was the most wonderful character that I have ever known." Father Doyle was awarded the Military Cross [London Gazette. 1 Jan. 1917). for gallant service, and also a Parchment Certificate, given to him by the Commander of the 16th Irish Division, which states : " I have read with much pleasure the reports of your regimental commander and Brigade commander regarding your gallant conduct and devotion to duty in the field on 27 and 29 April, and have ordered your name and deed to be entered in the Record of the Irish Division."

Chaplain 7th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers at Gallipoli

"

I cannot find anything in my notes, but the abstact of the book "Pals a Suvla Bay" says

"There is a final chapter on the work of the chaplains with the wounded."

Help appreciated with finding the names of those Chaplains who served on the Pennisula in 1915. Particular interest in British padres but ANZACS also wecome!

I have one or two names:

Rev Oswin Creighton 29th Division

Fr William Finn

Rev William McKenzie

thanks

A

Hi A !

Heres a quote from your William McKenzie ....... Thought you may like a bit of padding !!

”Home dwellers can never know what these men are suffering and cheerfully too, that they may live in safety, and in the days to come you can never think enough or do enough for any of these brave fellows who have marched and fought and bled for their country“

- Army Chaplain William Menzies

Annie :)

RC Chaplains

1st Australian Division

1st Brigade Fr E McAuliffe

2nd Brigade Fr J Hearn

3rd Brigade Fr J Fahey

NZ and Australian Division

4th Brigade Fr S Power CM

NZ Brigade Fr P Dore

1st Canterbury Bn Fr J J McMenamin

1st Wellington Bn Fr R Richards

1st Light Horse Brigade - Fr J D Murphy

2nd Light Horse Brigade - Fr M Bergin

3rd Light Horse Brigade - Fr D F McGrath

Others in the Cairo / Alexandria area

Fr D A Brennan

Fr T Cambell CSSR

Fr W Close

Fr W Devine

Fr T J King

Fr E O'S Goidanich

Can you confirm 'Fr D F McGrath' of the 3rd LH Bde actually served on Gallipoli?

I picked up a photo of him years ago and was only a couple of days ago going through his records, but was unable to confirm whether he'd stepped foot on Gallipoli before leaving Egypt in August arriving in Australia and having his appointment terminated in September of 1915 (unsure why returned - health? - He was 42). It states he took up 'permanent duty with Hospitals in Egypt' effective 13 Jun 15. So, I was under the impression he got as far a Egypt only.

If you can shed some light on him it would be something as his records don't give much away.

Dan

• 4 months later...

I am trying to find information on the Rev. Percy Wise Clarkson, from New Zealand, who served as a chaplain in World War I. He was said to have been in the Battle of Gallipoli. He was in the 1st or 2nd Infantry Division, and sailed on the troop transport ship S.S. Waimana to Gallipoli in April 1915. The Auckland Mounted Rifles Regiment and Auckland Infantry Battalion were on the ship, but I can find no information on when it landed.

He moved to California in 1921 and founded our Episcopal Church in Laguna Beach. I know clergy did not carry rifles; Clarkson was said to have a "church flag" that he carried in the War to identify him as a chaplain. I can find no information that this was a practice of the time. He was also said to have had a bugle that sounded the charge at Gallipoli for his regiment. Is this possible? It sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

Starella,

Welcome to the Forum!

A quick look through Men of Faith & Courage: The Official History of New Zealand's Army Chaplains by J Bryant Haigh, tells me no more about Clarkson than that he was among the Main Body which left Wellington on 16th October 1914, that he was a Chaplain Class IV, Church of England and attached to the Auckland Regiment.

Perhaps the 'church flag' was a Red Cross arm band.

A copy of his personnel file is at Archives New Zealand. Search with his full name from here. (If you order it, it may take a long time to arrive, but should provide you with useful information.)

Another approach would be through the Auckland Regiment, here's their history, or any evidence of the Waimana.

Good luck!

Joanna

I've found an entry for Rev Clarkson in Blains Directory (I'm afraid I don't have the address for the Directory, but it can be easily found with a search. It includes a page for his references) - you may already have this:

CLARKSON, PERCY WISE

born 24 Mar 1875 Aston Birmingham co Warwick

baptized 22 Jun 1880 Stetchford near Yardley Birmingham co Warwick

died 18 Jan 1942 funeral Trinity Episcopal church with Bertrand STEVENS Episcopal bishop of Los Angeles

buried by HF SOFTLEY cemetery Fairhaven registered Orange California USA

third son of seven sons and two daughters of John CLARKSON his family from parish Grinton Swaledale

(1881) tobacconist of Birmingham

(1891) cork dealer Bordesley Birmingham (1901) cork and timber merchant Kings Norton Worcester

(1910, in Taihape, late 1914 to New Zealand and died

born 1846 Low Row Swaledale registered Richmond Yorkshire died 31 Aug 1915 aged 68 Bracken avenue Epson

Auckland

brother to Elizabeth Ann CLARKSON born c1853 Melbecks moor near Richmond Yorkshire

brother to Jane CLARKSON born c1860 Melbecks moor Richmond Yorkshire (1880) visitor to HUNTER home Reeth

son of James CLARKSON born c1815 Thwaite Yorkshire

and [possibly married (2)] Ann NELSON born c1830 Ellerton Abbey near Grinton Yorkshire (1881) widow grocer of

Reeth Grinton;

married before 1867 Greenwich South London,

and Elizabeth Mary WISE born Jun ¼ 1847 Southwark co Surrey (1910) in Taihape on visit from England;

married Dec ¼ 1897 registered Reeth North Riding Yorkshire,

Margaret Ann HUNTER his cousin

born 02 Sep 1874 Raw Bank Reeth North Riding Yorkshire

died 28 Dec 1958 California USA

(Mar 1881) residing with four siblings parents one servant, Raw Moor

(1914, 1919) she (and possibly he) was residing 45 Brighton Rd Parnell, electoral roll Parnell

sister to Mahala Jane HUNTER born Mar ¼ 1876 Raw Bank Reeth

daughter among at least four children of John HUNTER (1881,1891) farmer

born c1838 Arkingarthdale near Reeth Grinton Yorkshire died Dec ¼ 1892 aged 54 [no will probate]

married Jun ¼ 1873 registered Reeth

and Elizabeth Ann CLARKSON

born c1853 Melbecks Moor near Richmond Yorkshire [only possibly Jun ¼ 1852 registered Teesdale which includes

some North Riding]

(1901) widow aged 47 farmer, born Winterings Swaledale

sister to John CLARKSON tobacconist of Birmingham father of Percy Wise CLARKSON

(1930 USA federal census;380;family information;352;345;180)

Education

private school Stetchford and board school Small Heath Birmingham

28 May 1895 confirmed Montreal Canada (180; micro-ms-coll-17-119 ATL)

one year Lennoxville University Canada

1894-Sep 1896 Diocesan theological college Montreal (180)

before 31 Mar 1901 probably ordained in the Free Church of England

probably by Bishop DICKSEE DD, based in Crowborough co Sussex and died there in 1900

25 May 1902 deacon Wellington (242)

18 Dec 1904 priest Wellington (308) [this may have been by the bishop of Nelson, and in Christchurch as claimed by the

Taihape parish history (380)]

08 Aug 1933 ordained bishop by Bishop Daniel Cassell HINTON of the 'American Catholic Church' as bishop for the diocese

of the Pacific in the 'Liberal Catholic Church of Antioch'

NOTE on this episcopal ordination

The various little churches in these ecclesial associations made much of the legitimacy of the apostolic succession of their

orders. This episcopal ordination was seen to be in the Syrian succession of apostolic orders through Joseph René VILATTE

self-styled archbishop of the 'Old Catholic Church of North America', who had been consecrated 29 Mar 1892 in Colombo

Ceylon by Archbishop ALVAREZ a prelate of a splinter group of the South Indian Syrian Orthodox tradition.

VILATTE ordained indiscriminately maybe as many as twenty bishops including (19 Dec 1915) a former Episcopal priest

Frederick Ebenezer LLOYD, the 1st bishop in this particular line.

LLOYD ordained (27 Mar 1927) HINTON to be his successor as 2nd primate of the 'American Catholic Church'; he

established an 'Order of Antioch' (ACC).

HINTON succeeded (1932) to LLOYD, and was (1933) president of the 'American Catholic Community Church' council

(ACCC). (392;internet)

Positions

31 Mar 1881 residing with parents and four male siblings, no servants Tetland Villa Yardley Birmingham

06 Apr 1891 grocer's apprentice aged 16; with parents and siblings Ernest J aged 20 paper warehouse worker born

Cockermouth Cumberland, Walter R W aged 18 grocers assistant born Liverpool, Micah J aged 13 working cork warehouse

born Stetchford, Herbert G 12 scholar born Stetchford, Hugh 9 scholar born Stetchford, Reuben S 2 born Birmingham, no

servants Aston Bordesley Birmingham (352)

1894 went to Canada

Jun 1896 associate editor The Mitre, college magazine Diocesan theological college Montreal, 'planning to go to Labrador

as a layreader for two years' but:

25 Apr 1897 si quis read in S James Ormstown province Quebec diocese Montreal: so it is clear that ordination as deacon

expected

ca Jun 1897 relinquished his pastoral charge Adamsville S George province Quebec diocese Montreal,

intended to return in Jun 1897

intended to be ordained 19 Sep 1897 by Bishop THORNELOE DD on his return from the Lambeth conference of

bishops

Sep 1897 expected to take up parish duties in co Muskoka Algoma under Bishop THORNELOE DD, [bishop of

Algoma 1897-1927]

but departed Canada SS PARISIAN for England and did not return (family information)

n d 'three years' ordained ministry in the Free Church of England and served briefly with Bishop DICKSEE' at Christ Church

Crowborough co Sussex

NOTE on the Free Church of England

1844 the Free Church of England was initiated in Devon as a low-church protest against the dictates of the Tractarian highchurch

Henry PHILLPOTTS bishop of Exeter with support from the duke of SOMERSET

31 Aug 1863 the 'Free Church of England' registered civilly, but without a bishop

1873 the Reformed Episcopal Church set up in New York USA by George David CUMMINS previously assistant bishop of

Kentucky

1876 the Free Church of England received episcopal orders from Bishop CUMMINS of the Reformed Episcopal Church of

the USA

1879 at Philadelphia Alfred A RICHARDSON made a bishop of the Reformed Episcopal Church of the USA;

but on being judged bankrupt fled to England to a branch of the Reformed Episcopal church but failed in plans to

unite this group with the Free Church of England.

RICHARDSON was involved with James MARTIN and Leon CHECHEMIAN 'primate of the United Armenian Catholic

Church and archbishop of Selsey in the Ancient British Church',

who initiated groups like the 'Free Protestant Episcopal Church of England', which was distinct from the Free

Church of England (392;391)

1879-1900 Samuel James Cox DICKSEE DD (1836-1900) incumbent of Christ Church Crowborough Kent and from 1876 first

bishop of the Free Church of England

1927 the Free Church of England and the Reformed Episcopal Church formally united; the church very positive towards

Freemasonry

1960 the Free Church of England had some 40 churches in England under the primus Frank VAUGHAN DD (consecrated in

1913)

1973 a more Conservative Evangelical group in protest broke with the Free Church of England and bought DICKSEE's

church of Christ Church Crowborough

2003 the Free Church of England had some 24 congregations in two dioceses in England and 4 in New Zealand

2004 in reaction to overtures of cooperation to the 'Anglican Province of America' (which included some AngloCatholic

groups) the Free Church of England split into a church of very Conservative Evangelicals and a church of more open

Conservative Evangelicals. See also the biographical entry for the Revd Charles HASKELL. (internet;391;MWB)

[Positions, continued:]

1897-1898 in North Riding Yorkshire where he married and son Stanley John W CLARKSON born Dec ¼ 1898 registered

Reeth North Riding Yorkshire

31 Mar 1901 'clerk in holy orders' with Margaret his wife and son Stanley John W, with his widowed mother in law

Elizabeth A HUNTER head of house, and one servant residing Raw House Reeth #28; however also in Reeth: Marmaduke

CLARKSON aged 33 born Reeth veterinary surgeon, and Alice aged 30 born Reeth housekeeper, and Alice aged 80 born

Yorkshire residing Langhorn House Reeth #59; this is in the Anglican parish of Grinton (345)

1901 indicated an interest in entering the ministry of the Congregational church, and then:

1901 applied for missionary service with Anglican SPG but was rejected by the board of examiners of SPG as 'an ignorant

man with a veneer of Evangelical phrases'

residing 73 Church Rd Moseley Birmingham; and then (180)

01 Jul 1901 he and his wife were welcomed to New Zealand on arrival from Canada, by the Primitive Methodist church of

New Zealand, noting that 'he had laboured successfully there *Canada+ for some years in a Methodist church'; he is

'heartily welcome to the colony and we wish for him a long and successful term of service in our church'; he had already

begun work in the 'Wellington 11' congregation (304)

01 Aug 1901 they were welcomed on arrival from the Home Land [England] to Wellington where the executive committee

found them a place for a few months until the Primitive Methodist Conference met in Jan or Feb 1902

1901 minister Newtown/Webb St Wellington Primitive Methodist church

Aug Sep Oct 1901 his name appeared in the Wellington 11 preaching plan of the Primitive Methodists, and then

disappeared without comment (304)

14 Sep 1901 son Ivan CLARKSON born Wellington (family information)

14 Sep 1901 licensed stipendiary layreader at Taihape Anglican diocese Wellington (family information)

25 May 1902 on ordination by (Anglican) Bishop Frederic WALLIS, became assistant curate parochial district Hunterville in

charge of Taihape diocese Wellington (242)

08 Feb 1905-1914 1st vicar Taihape

Jul 1906-Oct 1906 locum tenens S Thomas Newtown Wellington

07 Oct 1912 eucharistic vestments worn by CLARKSON for the first time

13 Jul 1913 offered appointment as assistant organiser and lecturer for the Bible in State Schools league

24 May 1914 final services S Margaret Taihape (380)

1915 leave of absence with pension from diocese Wellington (308)

n d employed by Marsden Memorial committee

1914-1918 residing the Revd (Anglican), 45 Brighton Rd Parnell

nominal roll volume 1 12/40 main body Auckland infantry battalion chaplain marital status single, next of kin Mrs

Margaret Clarkson 45 Brighton Rd Parnell Auckland chaplain World War 1 (354)

1915 departed with troops SS WAIMANA to Egypt, Gallipoli

Jul 1915 in hospital Alexandria Egypt

Sep 1915 invalided home to Auckland New Zealand (family information)

It seems likely that he joined the growing Theosophical Society in Auckland; that connection would explain his not being

among the licensed Anglican priests of the diocese (MWB)

1918-1921 residing the Revd (Anglican), Bracken Avenue Epsom Auckland (365;304)

1922-c1923 residing Percy W CLARKSON farmer Pio Pio near Te Kuiti Waikato (365)

1922 his son Stanley John Wise CLARKSON farmer 'Cascades' Pio Pio but no Percy W CLARKSON electorate Waitomo (266)

n d his children Stanley, Ivan, and Cecily CLARKSON remained in New Zealand; two younger daughters went with

CLARKSON and wife:

1922 family migrated to USA (1930 USA federal census)

c1922-1925- incumbent of a church county Orange California, in the Episcopal church of the United States of America

n d organised building of an Episcopal chapel for Fullerton (family information)

n d incumbent S Mary Laguna, Episcopal church, where he built chapel of S Francis (Episcopal)

c 1926/1928 after arguments (possibly over land for churches, possibly over his theosophical beliefs) with the Episcopal

bishop left the Episcopal church

seceded to the Liberal Catholic church (a Theosophical sect) ministering at the S Francis chapel (previously Episcopal)

recently sold to the Liberal Catholic church

1930 a lecturer and real-estate with wife, and daughters Elsie E and Madeline both born New Zealand both teachers

residing property worth $10 000 Laguna Beach Orange California United States of America (1930 USA federal census)

1933 the chapel of S Francis was rebuilt after earthquake destruction, serving the Liberal Catholic Church of Antioch as the

'smallest cathedral in the world' (family information)

08 Aug 1933 ordained bishop (in the Syrian succession through Joseph René VILATTE) by Dr Daniel HINTON, as bishop of

the diocese of the Pacific,

based at his pro-cathedral chapel of S Francis-by-the-Sea, Laguna Beach Southern California,

latterly the archbishop metropolitan for North America, 3rd primate of the USA; CLARKSON's teaching 'included

numerology and other strange superstitions' (392;internet)

n d worked for the 'Better America Foundation'

1940 Lowell Paul WADLE became the associate or coadjutor with Archbishop Percy CLARKSON of the Liberal Catholic

church of Antioch

WADLE was an 'independent Catholic bishop', consecrated (30 Aug 1930 by a former Roman Catholic priest Justin

(previously Justin A.) BOYLE) with orders in the VILATTE line. He was a Theosophist.

After the death of CLARKSON, WADLE became the 5th primate of the 'Liberal Catholic Church of Antioch' in the

USA, styling himself 'primate of the American Catholic (VILATTE succession) Apostolic Church of Long Beach'

(391;internet)

1942 funeral service at Trinity Episcopal church with W Bertrand STEVENS the official Episcopal bishop of Los Angeles

(family information)

Other

oil painting of Archbishop Percy Wise CLARKSON of the Liberal Catholic church of S Francis, robed in purple cassock, lace

cotta, pectoral cross, purple mantelletta, purple zucchetto and holding a purple biretta (internet)

NOTE on these churches

1933 Bishop Daniel HINTON became the president of the American Catholic Community Church council (ACCC) which

might include but did not then subsist in the 'Liberal Catholic Church of Antioch'.

CLARKSON was a prelate in the 'Liberal Catholic Church of Antioch', which was a parallel and similar jurisdiction to (but

distinct from) the Liberal Catholic Church International (LCCI) of North America, which itself was a split initiated by Frank

Waters PIGOTT archbishop of the Liberal Catholic Church (LCC). (See Frank Waters PIGOTT in this BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY

for he too had been a priest in the Anglican diocese of Auckland.)

1951 WADLE received the additional duties of Mar David 1 (vice W D de Ortega MAXEY) as patriarch of Malaga,

archbishop primate of all the Iberians and supreme hierarch of the catholicate of the west in the Americas when MAXEY

shed these tasks to become pastor of the First Universalist Church of Los Angeles (391)

These churches and their prelates interchanged names, prelatures, and properties over several generations. I cannot

discover whether the line specifically represented by Archbishop CLARKSON continues into the twenty-first century. (Apr

2005 MWB; internet information)

Guest Starrella

Joanna,

Thank you so very much for your help - the information in the Auckland Regiment History is especially interesting.

Thank you also for going to the trouble of sending the Blain information. I have been in communication with the Rev. Michael Blain for several years about his research regarding Rev. Clarkson for the Directory of Anglican Clergy in the South Pacific - he also has been very helpful.

Starr Helms

• 4 months later...

Chaplain William Joseph Finn, with 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers

I came across this

FINN, Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. William Joseph. died who died on 25 April 1915. As the boats drew nearer to the beach the awful hail of machine gun and rifle fire, together with shrapnel, took its toll. Father Finn, in the same boat as the Commanding Officer, leapt over the side to go to the assistance of wounded and dying men. His clothes were ripped with bullets and he was hit. Despite the pain he endured, he was seen crawling about the beach talking quietly to the RDF and trying to give Absolution to those close to death. This was not without the greatest difficulty, as one account states, as he had to hold his wounded right arm up with his left.

He suffered from loss of blood and eventually exhaustion, end eye witness accounts attest that within a short time he was killed by shrapnel "A total of 172 padres were killed in the Great War, 16 of whom were Irish. Fr Finn was the first padre of the war to be killed, he died at Gallipoli having ignored an order not to go ashore with the troops. He was serving with the 1st Dublin Fusiliers. Before the V beach landing he had asked to be allowed to accompany the Dublins into what became an infamous massacre. He is reputed to have said, 'The priest's place is beside the dying soldier; I must go'.

He certainly spent a considerable part of the day beside dying soldiers as there was an abundance of them at V Beach. He attempted to save a number of drowning and wounded men before being hit himself, in the right arm. He managed to get ashore and crawled around the beach offering help or consolation to the wounded and dying Dublins and Munsters. In order to give absolution he had to hold up an injured right arm with his left. While he was blessing one of the men in this fashion, there was a shrapnel burst above him which blew part of his skull away.

He was buried on the beach and his grave marked with a cross made out of an ammunition box 'To the Memory of the Revd Capt. Finn'" His father and mother came from a place called Aghamore, Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo. Buried V Beach Cemetery.

corisande:

museumtom posted this reply to my inquirey about Patrick and Christopher Delaney towith: Kilkenny's "Roll of Honour."

Private Patrick Delaney, 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who has been wounded in action, is now in a convalescent home in Lancashire, having had his arm amputated. With a letter to his father, Mr Michael Delaney, Colliers Lane, Kilkenny, he enclosed a photo of the heroic chaplain, Father Finn, and the place where he was buried, with six hundred of the "Dublins." Private Delaney refers in the highest terms to the bravery of Father Finn. "He was a father to the lot of us," he states, "We had many a chat with him about old Ireland and Home Rule. He was the bravest of the brave. He died looking after the dying and wounded. He was a great man and a worthy son of gallant Tipperary. I would like to hear from Christie. Please God, he is all right." His brother, Private Christie Delaney, 4th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment, about whom he inquires, was killed in action at the battle of Hooge, Ypres, on the 15th May last.

Grave or Memorial Reference: III. C. 21. Cemetery: Haringhe ( Bandaghem ) Military Cemetery in Belgium.

Christie was I believe still in the 1st Bn Royal Irish Regiment at the time of his death

momsirish

• 3 years later...

A bit late into this one, but never TOO late.

Father John Fahey landed at Anzac with the 11th Bn AIF on 25 April 1915. I will add more on this amazing man later, but he was made a DSO and was MID for his work at Gallipoli. From Tipperary, Ireland. Buried in Karrakatta Cemetery in Perth, Australia. Survived the war.

Ordained a RC priest in Genoa, Italy in 1907, before heading to Western Australia. He shows up in the famous 11Bn Pyramid photo taken on 10 Jan 1915.

Cheers

Ian

Like Ian, I am a bit late with this one as well. I have a letter dated 11th November 1915 signed by Albert G McKinnon, Senior Presbyterian Chaplain in Malta. The letter he wrote was to the mother of a man who had been injured, saying her son was recovering well, and had been under his care for two months.

It later transpired that the man had the same name but was not this mother's son, sadly giving her hope that her son was alive when in fact he had been KIA three months earlier.

Anne

• 1 year later...
Guest IRENE WENLOCK

HI I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND NOT SURE OF THE CORRECT PROCEDURE. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RESEARCH MY GRANDADS WAR

RECORDS HE WAS A CORPORAL WALTER LEWIS 12421 7Bt SOUTH STAFFORDSHIE REG AND HE DIED IN THE GALLIOPI CAMPAIGN 20/10/2015

AND HE IS BURIED ON LEMNOS (WHICH I HAVE JUST VISITED) I HAVE A COPY OF A LETTER THAT WAS SENT TO MY GRANMOTHER FROM

A METH MINISTER FROM THE NO 3 CAN.STAT HOSPITAL ON LEMNOS AND IS SIGNED BY A CAPT HARRY A FROST. AND INTHE LETTER ALSO

MENTIONS A FRIEND CAPT WHITAKER. THEY SPENT TIME WITH GRANDAD THE EVENING BEFORE HE DIED, AND ALSO WAS THE

MINISTER WHO GAVE THE SERVICE AT HIS BURIAL. IF ANY ONE CAN HELP WITH MY RESEARCH I WOULD BE MOST GREATFULL.

I AM NEW AT THIS RESEARCH AND NOT TO GOOD ON A COMP. AS YOU CAN SEE

IRENE WENLOCK

Irene, have you looked at the Long Long Trail?

http://www.1914-1918.net/

Staffs: http://www.1914-1918.net/sstaffs.htm

Soldier's medal Card:http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/interpretmic.html

Walter's Medal Card says he entered2b Balkans (Gallipoli) the 6th October and died of wounds the 20th.

Kath.

"William Grant" New Zealand Expeditionary Force there is a memorial volume for him which describes his death at Gallipoli

Audax

You have Jack Blencowe (Blencowe John Walcot, Chaplain Captain) listed above.

john-walcot-blencowe.jpg?w=235&h=300

I have blogged his story in the past its been taken down now. He wrote 13 letters home and so more that a few lines about the experience . I have these letters published in my online web project I am writing, if you contact me directly I will share with you the letters with you. Alternatively Peter Blencowe (son) has published some time ago a small book 'Letters Home' containing these letters in it.

Later Jack was to do a similar job on the western front where he was attached to 2nd Devonshire Regiment 23rd Brigade, 8th Division. Descendants relate that he was buried alive in one shell bombardment(no mention in war diary). His son Peter wrote to me "After April 1917,after he was seriously wounded, Jack never returned to Flanders. After a number of operations, he was never pronounced fit enough. Instead he was appointed Chaplain to Queen Mary’s Hospital Frognal, where he administered to the sick, wounded and dying.

Treleaven, Woodman. K. 1898/1906 [W. W.]. M.A., S. John's Coll. Camb. (2nd class in Nat. Sci. 1909). Somerset Rugby XV 1906. Wesleyan Minister 1909. War Service. 1915-19. Dardanelles and Salonika. R.A.M.C. 1915 : C.F. 1916.

Extract from Kingswood School (bath) Archive.

• 4 months later...
Guest andrewcooper

Sorry, just discovered this forum. My grandfather Rev Richard Henry Burdon Cattell was a padre at Gallipoli according to family sources. I do not have documentary evidence for this. He was better known for playing rugby for England between 1895-1900. He was a curate in Tring after the war, subsequently had parishes in Watlington and Warham in Norfolk.

Mate,

Sorry I could find no bloke as

1st Light Horse Brigade - Fr J D Murphy?

I have;

1st LH Bde - Merrington 1 LHR - Green 2 LHR and Plane 3 LHR

There was a John Drinan Murphy chaplain with the 5th Infantry Bde who was wounded on Gallipoli.

I have these on my ALH DB and at Gallipoli;

BERGIN Michael H. Rev Capt AACD Jesuit/RC to Chaplain 4th class 2 LH Bde HQ att RHQ/05 LHR 5-15 (G) to Chaplain 3rd class 13 Bde HQ att 51Bn 3-16 MC - for his work between Feb to Sept 1917 WIA 12-10-17 shoulder at Passchendaele F&B DoW 12-10-17 died at 3 FAmb buried Reninghelst Churchyard Extension Belgium Ex 05 LHR (818) enl in Egypt working in Syria was imprisoned then released by Turks

FREEDMAN David Issac Rev Capt AACD Chaplain Jewish 4th class tos HQ Anzac Corps 12-15 (G) to 1 Anzac Corps HQ 6-16 prom Maj Chaplain 3rd class 10-17 MID - for his work during 1917 F&B att Anzac MD HQ 4-18 RTA own request later author "Manual for Jewish Children" 1931

GOODMAN Aubrey John Rev Capt AACD Chaplain RC 4th class Tos Chaplain 10Bn 11-15 to 3 LH Bde HQ 12-15 to Chaplain RHQ/10 LHR 12-15 (G) WIA 12-8-16 scorpian bite accident near Hod el Fatir WIA 19-4-17 L/foot reported by MG bullet at 2nd Gaza to 2 ASH 8-17 to 14 AGH 11-17 to 1 Trg Bn UK 7-18 to 14 Bde HQ 10-18 att Chaplain 53Bn 10-18 F&B brother Francis 48Bn KIA

GORDON Hubert Keith Rev Capt 4 LH Bde HQ HQ Chaplin 4th class CofE Tos 1 LH Bde HQ to Chaplain RHQ/02 LHR 12-15 (G) att WFF MID - for his work during the Romani operations Aug to Sept 1916 recom MID - for his work at Rafa 9-1-17 to Imperial MD HQ 3-17 prom 3rd Class 3-17 to Aust MD HQ 4-17 MC - for his actions helping the wounded at 2nd Gaza 19-4-17 att Aust Div Rec Stn 9-18 att 14 AGH 11-18 prom Chaplain T/2nd class 3-19 to AIF HQ London UK 8-19 att Aust War Graves Unit 9-19 F&B (ACD CMF to Chaplain 1924 to 1930 later WWII Chaplain 2nd Class

GREEN George Rev Capt 1 LH Bde HQ HQ Chaplain 4th class BA CofE att RHQ/02 LHR 12-14 with Regt at landing 5-15 att RHQ/02 LHR 10-15 (G) to 4 Div ADBD 6-16 prom Chapalin 3rd class to 4 Div HQ 1-17 to 13 Bde HQ 2-17 to 2 AAuxH Southall UK 11-17 to Aust Corps camp 7-18 prom Hon/Chaplain 2nd class 9-18 to RHQ/13 LHR 11-18 F&B (ACD 1911-14 CMF retired 9-6-36 CAFOD VD)

MacBAIN Smith Rev Capt 4 LH Bde HQ HQ Chaplain BA Pres 4th class (Hon 3rd class) remain Egypt 8-15 to Murdos 11-15 (G) to Chaplain Maj to 2 Div HQ 3-16 att RHQ/13 LHR 3-16 F&B disch 8-10-16 relist Capt Chaplain 4th class (Hon 3rd class) to AIF depots UK 12-17 tos 3 Bde HQ 3-18 to 9Bn 3-18 att 3 FAmb 6-18 rtn 7-18 F&B (Boer War Chaplain Capt 3 VIB)

MAITLAND-WOODS William Rev Capt AACD CoE MA Chaplain 4th class prom LtCol Hon/2 class 7-15 tos 2 Bde HQ 10-15 att RHQ/7 LHR 11-15 (G) to 2 LH Bde HQ 2-16 to Senior Chaplain Anzac MD HQ 8-16 to T/3rd class 8-17 to Senior Chaplain Palestine DMC HQ 10-17 OBE & MID - for his work during the war to AIF HQ 1-19 (Chaplain to forces since 1893 to LtCol CMF 20 years VD) Son Francis 6 LHR

MAKEHAM Edward Rev Capt 3 LH Bde HQ HQ CoE Chaplain 4th Class (G) to Chaplain 3rd class 3 AGH 10-16 to 3 Bde HQ 8-17 att 3 FAmb 10-17 and 10Bn 10-17 att 3 FAmb 5-18 OBE & MID - reasons not stated F&B to AIF depots Tidworth UK 6-18 to T/Chaplain 2nd class 10-18 (Sudan 1885 and Boer War Royal Navy 12 years) (Chaplain 4th Class 5MD 21-3-06 CMF)

MERRINGTON Ernest Northcroft Rev Capt 1 LH Bde HQ HQ Chaplain 1st class MA Pres att RHQ/01 LHR 12-14 att RHQ/01 LHR 7-15 (G) disch 5-1-16 MU relist Chaplains 4th class Hon/1st class tos 3 AAuxH Dartford UK 3-18 to HQ/5 FAB 7-18 F&B rtn 3 AAuxH Dartford UK 3-19 (Aust Rifles 1899 to 1900 to Col 1st class 9-1-11 to 1914 CMF later Chaplains Dept D NZ Forces 1938) born 27-8-76

MILLER James Keith Rev Capt 2 LH Bde HQ HQ Pres Chaplain 4th class att RHQ/6 LHR 11-14 to RHQ/7 LHR 2-15 (G) disch 6-1-16 MU enteric relist ACD Chaplain 4th class to London UK (Capt Rev 22-4-12 CMF) born 24-6-1870

MULLINS Thomas Rev Capt 4 LH Bde HQ HQ chaplain 4th class RC att Chaplain RHQ/12 LHR 11-15 to Chaplain RHQ/05 LHR 11-15 MID - for his work on Anzac (G) chaplain 3rd class 1-17 MC & MID - for his actions at 1st Gaza 26-3-17 prom chaplain 2nd class 3-19 to 14 AGH 4-19

PLANE Alfred Charles Rev Capt 1 LH Bde HQ HQ Meth Chaplain 2nd class att RHQ/03 LHR 12-14 prom LtCol (G) disch 31-12-15 mental exhustion born 20-7-65 (LtCol 20-7-1895) sons Alfred Lt 6 LHR and Leslie 9Bn

ROBERTSON Theodore Gordon Rev Capt 2 LH Bde HQ HQ Cong Chaplain 4th class att RHQ/7 LHR 11-14 att RHQ/6 LHR 2-15 T/att 3 Bde HQ 7-15 rtn 9-15 (G) disch 3-4-16 MU typoid brothers Sydney Maj 9Bn KIA and Harold 1 ASH

STEVENS William Johnstone Rev Capt ACD Chaplain 4th Class Pres to 7 Bde HQ att 27Bn (G) to 5 Bde att 20Bn WIA 27-2-17 leg near Thilloys F&B died of wounds & Brights disease at 3 London GH buried Brookwood Military Cemetery Surrey UK (1-11-09 CMF) (Boer War BCo/1 QMI MID) born 1-5-68

Cheers

S.B