Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme and Ypres pictures

Guest DiederikvK

Guest DiederikvK

Last year I made my first visit ever to a WWI scene (Verdun) and this year I went to the Somme and Ypres. Made a lot of pictures and blogged them. If any-one is interested please take a look and you're even invited to use the pictures if you want. Al the comments are in Dutch but the names are all well known at this forum.

Since this forum is specifically British orientated herewith the Somme and Ypres locations of the pictures:

http://somme-1916.blogspot.com/

Somme area:

Newfoundland memorial with several cemeteries

Thiepval

Devils Wood (Bois Delville)

Tommy's bar

Pozieres

Peronne (the Museum)

Ypres area:

Menenpoort

Tyne Cot

Polygon Wood

British Buttes Cemetery

at the bottom of the blog you will find a link to my Verdun pictures

Verdun area:

Douaumont (Verdun memorial)

Tranchée des Baionettes

Ornes (village detruit)

Fortress of Douaumont

Fleury

Citadel of Verdun (inside)

Somme and Menenpoort-pictures made with Canon 400D (10MP)

Tyne Cot and Polygon/Buttes made with 2MP of my HTC Touch (unscheduled visit, picture-quality ok)

Verdun pictures made with 5MP compact

If you want to use one (click on the picture for original) feel free, just let me know

Next year I'll go back to Ypres for Hill-62 and more

Nice website, Diederik.

I hope you don't mind me using this picture of Tyne Cot, but do you know why these headstones are placed this way? Is this some sort of massgrave?

Roel

post-5443-1224658318.jpg

Yep - a mass grave.

More often - when you see a completely 'blank' headstone in the centre of a row of named headstones - that's another indication that it's a 'mass grave' (Eg Hawthorn Ridge Cem No 1 back row).

Thanks, Moston.

First time I see headstones indicating a massgrave placed behind each other, instead of next to each other. Are these stones part of the original (wartime) cemetery?

Roel

I was on a Leger Tour recently and our Battlefield Guide said that these graves at Tyne Cot were in what had been a shell hole.

Regards Frances

Guest DiederikvK

Indeed a mass grave which is indicated by the many names on each of the stones. I think this also has to do with the origins of the Tyne Cot Cemetery which was originally part of a Germen Concrete defense line. Under the Cross of Sacrifice lies the original German bunker which was conquered by Aussies. So there has been fighting around the place. They named the bunker "Tyne Cot" and later the place was used as a hospital. Some 300 men which died of wounds were buried next to Tyne Cot and thats howthis place started its function as cemetery. But I think most of you know that already ;-)

Impressive place.

When I go back or visit other places I will make some pictures again. Next spring Hill 62 and surroundings.

By the way I started updating my Somme photo-blog. Today extra pictures of Delville and Rancourt (German) and the New Foundland memorial park.

CU