Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is 10th London Regt Memorial of War Dead?

londons

Dear All,

My great grandfather was KIA in Palestine in September 1918 on the first day of Megiddo. I have found his grave at the CWGC at Ramleh. However, would his name have been comemorated on a memorial for the regiment back here in the UK? If so, does anyone know eher this is located? Or would his name have been on a different memorial back in the UK?

His name was Pte David Martin Vincent 424457

Many thanks, I hope someone can help.

Regards,

Lee

TF units often had memorials in their drill halls. The 10th Londons drill hall was at The Grove in Hackney. Dont know whether it exists today. It would be worth checking with the National Inventory of War Memorials at the IWM to see they have anything listed on their database.

• 3 weeks later...

Lee,

The last sighting of the wooden war memorial to the 10th London Regiment - presumably the one from the drill hall in Hackney, now council offices - was in 1985 when the London Scottish temporarily moved from Buckingham Gate to the TA centre in Wenlock Street, Hoxton. Regrettably I came across it unceromoniously stuck in a remote corner of the MT section gathering dust and oil stains. I left the regiment shortly afterwards to join as a regular, but when I found out about my family connection to the 10th a year or so later I contacted the centre straight away. Unfortunately they confirmed that it was no longer there. Given the amount of stuff that the LS were throwing into skips I would imagine that it met the same fate.

Regards,

Steve B.

Lee,

If you're interested the Regimental Colours for the 10th Londons are laid up in the Ironmongers Hall in the City of London.

Steve B.

• 8 months later...

This memorial (UKNUM 2819) in St Johns Hackney. There is no list of names associated with it but the church was damaged by fire in the 1950's. I think it may have been unveilled in March 1928 but will follow up with local paper at some time.

post-12340-1248209048.jpgpost-12340-1248209065.jpg