Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge Roll?

mlschofield

The Medal Index Card for my late father-in-law, shows that he was awarded the SWB and alongside the entry is the following additional detail

"List Off/659 Badge No 341446 2.5.18"

and beneath, in what looks like the same hand

"9/63/3897" followed by "NW/8/24567"

Does this additional information relate to any more material or Roll that I might use to find out more information on my father-in-law's service during WW1?

There is a Roll of the Silver War Badge, held at the national Archives, Kew. It contains additional information including the date of enlistment, date of discharge, reason for discharge and often, the unit or battalion that the man served with and sometimes his age on discharge.

Ken

Hi Mike,

'List Off/659' will lead to a SWB roll with the info provided as stated by Ken. The additional details, "9/63/3897" followed by "NW/8/24567", are just codes/notation used by clerks when entering the data - unfortunately, they don't relate to any more sources of information on a soldier's service.

Stuart

...the unit or battalion that the man served with ...

Ken

Its worth bearing in mind that the unit listed is that discharged from and not necessarily the one served with. Quite a lot of the entries can say 'Depot'. I've also seen SWB lists where it only gives the regiment.

Mike S

I've also seen SWB lists where it only gives the regiment.

Agreed. The SWB rolls for lowland Scots regiments giving the specific battalion are in a minority :(

Stuart

Stuart

That's interesting. I noticed it with a number of the regiments from Yorkshire including:

East Yorkshire Regiment

West Yorkshire Regiment

East Yorkshire Regiment

West Riding Regiment

Interestingly other regiments in the same volumes do provide unit details e.g., DLI, KOYLI & North'land Fusiliers.

Mike S

Hi

Being an Officer SWB Roll the only details given on Off/659 are :-

2nd Lt N Wood

Manchester Regiment

Badge 341446

70, Turner Lane, Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester

Steve

post-1302-1224613727.jpg

Mike,

Typical TD, DA and D rolls respectively:

post-6340-1224609261.jpg

TD covers lowland territorial battalions, while DA contain lowland battalions, both territorial and regular/service. I haven't worked out why a territorial soldier should be in one and not the other. Not sure about D volumes yet because I haven't copied enough of them to see if any territorials turn up.

Stuart

Hi

Being an Officer

Steve

Well spotted - that little fact passed me by.

Regards

Mike S

Steve

Thank you for this. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is nothing further to be found in SWB Rolls, other than the detail you have shown in your reply?

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Typical TD, DA and D rolls respectively:

TD covers lowland territorial battalions, while DA contain lowland battalions, both territorial and regular/service. I haven't worked out why a territorial soldier should be in one and not the other. Not sure about D volumes yet because I haven't copied enough of them to see if any territorials turn up.

Stuart

Stuart

Again - that's interesting. The information listed in the volumes I looked at - from York Record Office - differed from regiment to regiment. See these examples from within a few pages of the start of volume WO 329/3134:

post-627-1224610076.jpg

post-627-1224610099.jpg