Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4-inch and 4.1 inch guns in German East Africa

RodB

I have here a link : http://zanzibar.net/zanzibar/konigsberg

it states that one of the QF 4-inch guns from HMS Pegasus stands next to one of the 10.5 cm guns from SMS Königsberg, at Fort Jesus on Mombasa Island.

Can anybody confirm that this is correct ? If so, is any information available on if/how these 2 particular guns were employed in the land campaign ? I understand 3 of Pegasus's 8 guns were used ashore by 10th Heavy Battery, not sure how the others were utilized.

It sounds far too cute to be true : 2 guns that opposed each other at sea and then on land, finally at rest next to each other..

Rod

Rod

See Post #47 at this link......

Regards

Steve

• 11 years later...
On 20/10/2008 at 09:42, RodB said:

I have here a link : http://zanzibar.net/zanzibar/konigsberg

it states that one of the QF 4-inch guns from HMS Pegasus stands next to one of the 10.5 cm guns from SMS Königsberg, at Fort Jesus on Mombasa Island.

Can anybody confirm that this is correct ? If so, is any information available on if/how these 2 particular guns were employed in the land campaign ? I understand 3 of Pegasus's 8 guns were used ashore by 10th Heavy Battery, not sure how the others were utilized.

It sounds far too cute to be true : 2 guns that opposed each other at sea and then on land, finally at rest next to each other..

Rod

Only 12 years late!

3 of the Pegasus guns were taken to Kisuma on Lake Victoria, 1 was reported as being mounted on HMS Winifred for at least part of the war.

on the forum.axishistory.com there is a section on German Colonies and overseas there is a post on the Konigsberg guns and lots of pics