Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

119th siege battery

Guest stella

please can anybody give me any info on the 119th siege battery part of the royal garrison artillery particulary where they were based between sep 1918-jan 1919 we have been trying for about the last two weeks without success so i am now turning to you lot HELP!!!!!! :huh:

Stella: I wish I could help you, but the study of movements and locations of Siege Batteries is difficult at best and often impossible. 119 Siege Battery, RGA after August 1918 is a case in point. From 22 December 1917 until the end of the war 119 Siege Battery, RGA was under 77 Brigade, RGA. I have the History of the 77th Bde. R. G. A., France, 1916-1919 written by the brigade commander and illustrated by an officer in 119 Siege Battery but unfortunately the last action of that battery discussed in the history took place in August 1918. Likewise, the History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914-18 also does not mention the battery or the brigade after August 1918. One would normally go to the battery's war diary at the National Archives (PRO) but unfortunately the unit's war diary for the period after November 1917 has not been traced.

Sadly, I do no know where else to go in this search. Regards. Dick Flory

hello again dick does your book tell where the battery was formed (i think that is what it is) Trying to find infrmation on an ancestor of my husbands who served in that battery but eg. where he came from and his age but not having much luck not much info on the pro or cwwg sites

thanks stella

Stella

Your best bet is the war diary of 77th Brigade RGA, which is at the National Archives Kew under WO 95/324 and covers up to February 1919. This should give a fair amount of detail on the individual batteries.Suffice to say that in November 1918 the Brigade was in Second Army and your battery was armed with six 6-inch howitzers.

Charles M

• 10 years later...

Hi Stella,

I am also looking for information regarding the 119th Siege Battery, but only know that they were in Belgium around Nov 1918.

My Great Grandfather was a Gunner in this Battery & died on 19 Nov 1918 & is buried in Belguim.

Hi Stella,

I am also looking for information regarding the 119th Siege Battery, but only know that they were in Belgium around Nov 1918.

My Great Grandfather was a Gunner in this Battery & died on 19 Nov 1918 & is buried in Belguim.

Nicky,

Do you have his service records if you are enquiring about 102821 Alfred Gladwin?

Kevin

119 Siege Battery was formed at Harwich 3rd March 1916 from a nucleus from Thames and Medway coast defences.

• 4 years later...

Hi David, and welcome to the forum.

As you can see from the few postings in the thread, the history of 119 Siege Battery is not particularly well documented.

Obviously, depending on how much material is in your possession, it would greatly add to the knowledge about the siege battery if you were to publish some or all of the information that you have.

When you say you have your grandfather's book, do you mean his diary, or that he is the aauthor of a published book?

If you have his diaries, have you considered publishing them?