Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IRISH GUARDS

Ken Devitt

Hi all,

I'm looking for information on Lance Serjeant John Banahan 6757 Irish Guards.

His MIC gives his number, his enlistment date 1915 and his discharge date 1919.

He appears to have been awarded a Badge and medal.

Two other entries are: 3921/6? KR W and list I G/196.

He originally came from Roscommon.

As there is no sign of his pension nor service records any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Regards as always,

Ken

IG/196 refers to his entry in the roll of the War Badge. They are often quite informative (date of enlistment, age, cause of discharge, whether served overseas etc all appearing).

392 is teh King's regulation under which he was discharged, W looks like he was wounded.

IG/196 refers to his entry in the roll of the War Badge. They are often quite informative (date of enlistment, age, cause of discharge, whether served overseas etc all appearing).

392 is teh King's regulation under which he was discharged, W looks like he was wounded.

Thanks Chris,

I guessed that's what the entries were. His granddaughter believes he served in France so that would indicate the 1st or 2nd Bn. any idea what the 3rd. reserve were doing?

Ken

Looks like he had also served in the RIC. If it is the same man then he should have an RIC record. This from the Irish Times:-

post-6633-1224436951.png

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that lead.

Any date on the newspaper and how did you make the link with the RIC?

I can't see anything on the extract you posted.

Kind regards,

Ken

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that lead.

Any date on the newspaper and how did you make the link with the RIC?

I can't see anything on the extract you posted.

Kind regards,

Ken

Sorry Mark,

I'll put it down to old age.

Ken

Sorry forgot the date - 9 December 1916. No specific link to the RIC but when it's an Irish Guard there is always a reasonable chance that the man will be RIC or the son of an RIC man. A quick check on ancestry Medal Index Cards doesn't reveal anymore J Banahans so this must be the right man.

A quick search on ancestry "Ireland, The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921" gives a John Patrick Banahan, born 1892 Roscommon, described as married and enlisted in RIC in 1912. It also gives a Michael Banahan from Roscommon, enlisted 1879 aged 21 - perhaps his father and a M ichael Banahan, Roscommon born 1884, enlisted 1906 - a brother perhaps?

Mark

post-6633-1224442276.png

Edit

Found these two families in the Roscommon 1901 census (which is free on line):-

Roscommon T./Goff St. Roscommon Ballintober South Roscommon Household Banahan Michael(36) solicitors managing clerk Ellie(32)-Hubert(9)-John(8)-Kathleen(5)-Delia(1)

Cloonfree Cloonfinlough Roscommon Roscommon Household Banahan Francis(45) farmer Anne(35)-Michael(16)-Mary(14)-William(13)-Winnie(11)-John(9)-Lizzie(6)

Looks like it should be one of these two Johns so the father or brother being in the RIC may be wrong but the Michael, aged 16 matches the Michael Banahan who joined the RIC in 1906 - looks like the more likely family!!

I'm looking for information on Lance Serjeant John Banahan 6757 Irish Guards.

As there is no sign of his pension nor service records any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Ken,

When you say: "there is no sign of his.....service records" have you tried the Irish Guards at Wellington Barracks?

Cheers,

Ian

Ken, the County Meath Roll of Honour lists a Banahan, John P. serving as RIC constable in Enfield, Co. Meath serving with the Irish Guards.

This may, or may not be your man

I'll see if I have any more info on him this evening.

Isadore

Hi Isadore,

This has to be my man as there was only one John P Banahan in the Guards.

Fantastic if you can come up with anything else.

Sincere regards,

Ken

Certainly looks like 66430 Constable John Patrick Banahan, who is shown in the RIC lists as having been seconded for service in the IG between Aug 1914 and Dec 1915. It also seems he was DMU'd from the RIC in early 1919 indicating being wounded.

Peter, do any of the records indicate where he may have lived. I believe RIC officers didn't always live where they were stationed for security reasons.

Isadore

Hi Peter,

I presume DMUD is dismissed unfit for duty?

Do you have any social details.

Many thanks for the contribution.

Ken

Ken & Isadore - DMU stands for 'Dismissed Medically Unfit' in this respect. I don't have his service details but if you were to get hold of them you'd see the counties where he was stationed, not the exact town or village police barracks. Isadore, most of the young constables lived in the RIC barracks, the older married men often living in local accommodation nearby. They never (I should be cautious saying never as there were the odd exceptions) served in the counties were they, or their wives, had kindred, as it was seen to be an impediment to them enforcing the law 'without fear or favour'.