Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French soldier at moment of death - authentic?

redorchestra

This may have been posted before (i had a quick search but couldn't find it), but could anyone tell me if this photo is authentic?

1916_march_verdun.jpg

I've seen it captioned in many places and books as 'French soldier at the moment of death, Verdun'. However, using the old trick of 'where was the cameraman standing', it appears he would have been standing up with his back to whatever has killed the soldier!

My guess is maybe it is a still from a film, but I would like to be proved wrong.

Anyone?

More than likely a propaganda pic.

Connaught Stranger :D

This pic has been discussed and the point you made of where the cameraman would be, was brought up. I think it is one of those where you pays your money and makes your choice. There is another French photograph of men sitting in a trench which again is sometimes captioned as being the moment of death for one of them. Again, no real way to tell.

Not genuine.

As you suggest, cameraman's position is always the key.

Here, he is not only standing with his back to the enemy but also appears to be on higher ground than the "shot" man. You just wouldnt do it - not even with today's compact, fast cameras.

My guess is maybe it is a still from a film, but I would like to be proved wrong.

Sorry but there has been a thread on this before and it is definitely a still from the film Verdun, directed by Léon Poirier in 1927 using war veterans.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=284141