Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMA Howitzer Brigade

ken gray

I discovered this forum whilst doing some family history research and I've had a couple of very useful and interesting exchanges on one of the other subforums.

During this research I also came across the attached photo that I feel may be of interest.

post-38967-1224189124.jpg

As you can see it shows the return from France of the RMA Howitzer Brigade on 15/6/1919.

The reverse is inscribed in my father's hand "804 Cpl.Gray W.R. - Dad returning to Eastney with RMA 1919"

I assume it's my grandfather arrowed.

Please let me know if this is of interest or any comments on it.

Regards

Ken

The man named is:-

RMA/804(S); GRAY, WJR; Enlisted 15/04/1915; Discharged DEMOB; D.o.b. 30/05/1878; P.o.b. SHERBORNE, DORSET.

HIs papers are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and will give details of his service.

Additionally, from Blumberg's history:-

"After the conclusion of the Armistice the batteries were gradually moved back until by January 1919 Nos 1 and 2 Siege Batteries were at St. Cecile Plage, No 1 Howitzer at Samer (Pas de Calais), No 2 at Questrecques (Boulogne), No 3 at Hesdin L'Abbe, No 4 at Hesdineul, No 8 at Arras, No 10 at Wirwignies (Pas de Calais).

They were demobbed under Army arrangements and the batteries were reduced to cadre strength by June 1919; when all the howitzers and stores were handed in to the Ordnance and on 14th all the detachments left Havre in SS LYDIA and arrived at Eastney on 15th, where the Brigade was finaly dispersed." This date matches the info on the photograph.

horatio2

Many, many thanks for your interest, expertise and the info.

It includes several points I didn't know of.

All very useful in bringing the family history to life.

Thanks again

Ken