Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommendation for VC?

jjonick

A (hopefully) quick and simple question....

If an officer was recommended for a VC, is there any paperwork kept anywhere that I could research to find out what he was recommended for?

I ask because in the Yorkshire Rugby Union Memorial book it states that 2nd Lieut Guy Beresford Eaton REYNOLDS, KOYLI, KIA was MID and recommended for the VC. Haven't been able to find anything to date.

Any pointers, as usual, gratefully received!

Thanks

Nicky

Nicky.

If he has an MID,it should be on the London Gazette.It's a trawl but would give you a bit to work with.

Dave.

Oh,quick edit.

Officers,even lowly 2nd Lt's recommended for a VC but didn't get one would (probably)get a DSO(might be better for your search)or MC.

Officers,even lowly 2nd Lt's recommended for a VC but didn't get one would (probably)get a DSO(might be better for your search)or MC.

Unless the award was posthumous only the VC & MID could be recommended posthumously.

Most of the files for WWI era VC recommendations have been lost, this includes the successful ones.

Thanks for the suggestions - shame that the files have been lost. I've had a trawl of the L. Gazette, no luck yet. Oh well, I'll keep plodding on and sometime, somewhere, something may crop up that will solve the mystery!

Thanks again

Nicky