Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Alfred C. Box 65162

rafsparks

I am researching my Grandfathers career and have located his Medal Index Card which shows his medals as:Victory and British - Roll No. J/1/104(?)24 - but no Star. Might the lack of the Star be a result of him not qualifiying on time? There is no Theatre of War listed either. I understand that he served in France with the Welsh Regiment and was at one point gassed, which resulted in him being returned home and discharged. I also understand that on retuning to the UK he was at some point stationed at Maindy Barracks in Cardiff. He died in 1927 of illnesses resulting from the gas. I am still trying to find out which Battalion he served with and where and when he served. I have tried to locate him in the WW1 Service Records and WW1 Pension records with no luck. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Regards Dave.

Hi Dave, if you post his name and number on the forum prehaps we can help. However getting a battalion from a number can be difficult. If he did not get a star it was because he did not serve in a theatre of operations during the specified time. On his MIC no date of entry would be the norm. If he won a star then there would normaly be a date and which are he served in to earn it. Maindy barracks in the Heath cardiff is still in use.

Hi Dave, if you post his name and number on the forum prehaps we can help. However getting a battalion from a number can be difficult. If he did not get a star it was because he did not serve in a theatre of operations during the specified time. On his MIC no date of entry would be the norm. If he won a star then there would normaly be a date and which are he served in to earn it. Maindy barracks in the Heath cardiff is still in use.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. His name and No. is in the topic title - Private Alfred C. Box 65162 Welsh Regiment. Cheers Dave.

Dave

Had a look at his MIC - very typical for mid war.

A long winded way to start to firm up on the battalion is to read the rolls themselves at Kew. (Or ask someone here to do it!).These apparently give more detail. Once you have the Battalion you should be able to make progress with his movements throughout the war.

No wound record on his card, but not unusual.

Keep your fingers crossed - plenty of experts on the forum.

Good luck.

David

Dave

Had a look at his MIC - very typical for mid war.

A long winded way to start to firm up on the battalion is to read the rolls themselves at Kew. (Or ask someone here to do it!).These apparently give more detail. Once you have the Battalion you should be able to make progress with his movements throughout the war.

No wound record on his card, but not unusual.

Keep your fingers crossed - plenty of experts on the forum.

Good luck.

David

Hi David

Many thanks for that. As it happens I have just spoken to a family member tonight who has added another piece to the jigsaw; it turns out that Alfred became a Prisoner of War shortly after the gas attack. The 'Story' goes that because of his 'condition' he was placed on a farm to work rather than in a POW camp. We assume that he returned to the UK at the end of the war, to Maindy Barracks, it was while he was there that he met, and married my grandmother. Are there by any chance records relating to POWs? Will also follow up on what you have advised me. Thanks Dave.

The red cross geneva have the POW records which as a direct relative you can apply for for free. Just google and you should find the link. And as for the name and number all I can say is DOOOOH, must get new glasses.