Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

inniskilling fusiliers

manumercer

Hi there would anyone have any photos or information on the 1st bn, royal inniskilling fusilers.

I had a relative W coffey who was killed at Gallipoli 1915, also my partners grandfather David Millar was in the 1st bn, to both these men were from inniskillen.

I look forward to any reply.

Reguards Gary

Gary,

Not able to offer any direct help, but I'm researching Pte John Whitley, 12122, 1st Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

He's buried in the churchyard of St Lawrence, Over Peover in Cheshire even though he seems to have no connection with the area. He was from Moy in Co Tyrone.

He died on 1st July 1915 aged only 18 years.

There was a Red Cross auxiliary hospital in Over Peover in WW1, so my current thinking is that he was wounded or taken ill at Gallipoli or on the way there, was repatriated back to hospital in Cheshire where he then died.

His stone is particularly poignant standing alone in the churchyard - neither on the battlefield with his comrades, nor back at home with his own folk :huh: Happily the good people of Peover look after it well, so he's been made to feel at home .. and it's a beautiful country churchyard.

I've found the Ulster Memorials website helpful: War Memorials in Ulster

Let us know what you find out - it's likely to be useful for my research too!

Cheers,

Mark

Gary,

Not able to offer any direct help, but I'm researching Pte John Whitley, 12122, 1st Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

He's buried in the churchyard of St Lawrence, Over Peover in Cheshire even though he seems to have no connection with the area. He was from Moy in Co Tyrone.

He died on 1st July 1915 aged only 18 years.

There was a Red Cross auxiliary hospital in Over Peover in WW1, so my current thinking is that he was wounded or taken ill at Gallipoli or on the way there, was repatriated back to hospital in Cheshire where he then died.

His stone is particularly poignant standing alone in the churchyard - neither on the battlefield with his comrades, nor back at home with his own folk :huh: Happily the good people of Peover look after it well, so he's been made to feel at home .. and it's a beautiful country churchyard.

I've found the Ulster Memorials website helpful: War Memorials in Ulster

Let us know what you find out - it's likely to be useful for my research too!

Cheers,

Mark

thanks mark

il let you no if i find anything.

gary

I've got a handful of 1st battalion photos, mostly A company, most pre 1914. My Grandfather was with them 1903 - 1918.

Drop me an email and I'll get them out to you,

kenneth-morgan@rogers.com

Take care,

Ken

I've got a handful of 1st battalion photos, mostly A company, most pre 1914. My Grandfather was with them 1903 - 1918.

Take care,

Ken

Hi ken

just sent you an email could you confirm that you got it.

regards gary

Take care,

Ken

Ken

sorry il try again now

gary

Mark

Eugene Whitley signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCov...age=M0035240013

David

David,

Many thanks for that - it's fascinating: Eugene was John's father, and, from what I've found so far, was the caretaker of the Courthouse in Moy. Whether he had another occupation as well - I don't know.

As well as John's poignant burial in Cheshire far away from his ain folk, I have a soft spot for that part of Tyrone, because my great grandfather (on my Ayrshire side) worked in the pit at nearby Coalisland some time between 1910 and 1925 when my grandmother was a wee girl. They must have known Moy.

John Whitley is commemorated on the Moy War Memorial and I noticed there's also a Private W. Whitley, 2nd. Royal Irish Fusiliers. Obviously they may be related, but I've not traced that through as yet. I may well be needing to pick your brains when I've got a little further forward.

I should really start a separate Topic for John Whitley though.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Won't take you very long!! :D

This is the 1910 entry from the Belfast and Ulster directory. You may already have it.

Whitley, Eugene, caretaker Courthouse

Whitley, James, refreshment rooms, Charlemont street

Whitley, John, refreshment rooms, Moy sq.

Dont know if you know this but Eugene married Elizabeth (Menagh) at Moy Presbyterian Church on 14/2/1896 - St Valentines day.

Need to go to PRONI for more info re William John Whitley who was with 1st RIF, KIA 12/10/1916, possibly a cousin.

Regards

David

Mark

This is the 1910 entry from the Belfast and Ulster directory. You may already have it.

Need to go to PRONI for more info re William John Whitley who was with 1st RIF, KIA 12/10/1916, possibly a cousin.

Regards

David

David,

Many thanks again!

I did already have the 1910 Ulster Directory info, but I wasn't sure how to interpret the entry for John Whitley as "my" John Whitley would only be 12 or 13 years old in 1910.

I have yet to get to grips with PRONI!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Dont know if you know this but Eugene married Elizabeth (Menagh) at Moy Presbyterian Church on 14/2/1896 - St Valentines day.

Need to go to PRONI for more info re William John Whitley who was with 1st RIF, KIA 12/10/1916, possibly

a cousin.

Regards

David

William John Whitley --1st Royal Irish Fusiliers--commerated on Thiepval--also born and Lived Moy---brothers!!!

Wesley Wright

William John Whitley --1st Royal Irish Fusiliers--commerated on Thiepval--also born and Lived Moy---brothers!!!

Wesley Wright

Wesley,

How do you know they were brothers?

Cheers,

Mark

Wesley,

How do you know they were brothers?

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry if you thought I implied they were brothers--I was only posing the question that they could be brothers??

Wesley Wright

Sorry if you thought I implied they were brothers--I was only posing the question that they could be brothers??

Wesley Wright

Wesley,

No probs - you had me all excited, cos I'd been trying to connect them as brothers but so far failed!

Thought you'd found something I'd missed! I'm not that familiar with the BMD and census tools for Northern Ireland.

Cheers,

Mark

Think PRONI is the only way we're going to solve this one.

Discounted them as brothers because WJ Whitley has no commemoration on his CWGC entry.

David

Discounted them as brothers because WJ Whitley has no commemoration on his CWGC entry.

David

David,

I agree on both points!

Cheers,

Mark

David

What does --no commemoration-- mean on his cwgc entry??

Wesley Wright

What does --no commemoration-- mean on his cwgc entry??

Wesley Wright

Wesley,

The CWGC entry for John Whitley mentions that he was the "Son of Eugene and Elizabeth Whitley, of Moy, Co. Tyrone", I think David's reasoning is that if John and William were brothers, one might expect the CWGC to hold the same information about William, whereas William's entry is in fact missing anything like that.

We've well and truly hi-jacked this Topic now - my apologies to Gary :mellow:

Cheers,

Mark

Wesley,

The CWGC entry for John Whitley mentions that he was the "Son of Eugene and Elizabeth Whitley, of Moy, Co. Tyrone", I think David's reasoning is that if John and William were brothers, one might expect the CWGC to hold the same information about William, whereas William's entry is in fact missing anything like that.

We've well and truly hi-jacked this Topic now - my apologies to Gary :mellow:

Cheers,

Mark

Whilst I do not know if they were related--do not assume because one brother has details of next of kin related by Cwgc that the other brother will have same details. Have seen quite a number of brothers with details of one brother only.

I agree the only answer is Proni--suggest probaly check 1901 cesus records--probaly for the parish of Dungannon. Wesley Wright

Take care,

Ken

Hi Ken

could i also ahve a look at the photos you have of the 1st battalion from 1914 as my grandparents served at that time just to see if they were there. many thanks .

Trish :rolleyes: