Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Letters of condolence from Hospital Staff to relatives

Bob Chandler

In researching the village war memorial I came across a case where a man died of wounds at one of the Stationary Hospitals at Rouen. In the article about him in the local paper it stated that letters of sympathy were sent to his parents by the Chaplin and Matron, telling as it put it of his fortitude under suffering.

Since writing up my research I've been contacted by a nephew of this man who has asked whether the writing of such letters was a matter of course, part of their 'duties' so to speak, or whether it was a more spontaneous and personal expression of sympathy in individual cases.

I don't know the answer - I suspect the former - can anyone help?

Many thanks

Charles

Don't get me wrong for one minute - I'm no expert on this and therefore posting purely as a gut reaction.....

Letters from a Chaplain were not unusual - bearing in mind the soldier died in a hospital the soldiers 'Officer' can't really comment upon his death so I would GUESS (nothing more than that) that his responsibility would be passed to the Matron?

In which case the practice would have been widespread....?

I'd like to learn from those with more knowledge on the matter.

I have read a letter expressing sympathy and detailing wounds and cause of death. A list of effects and how some, not returned, were disposed of. This letter, written in English was from a German doctor of a German hospital where the prisoner had died.

My grandmother received notification of my Uncle Harold's death from the nursing sister who was with him when he died. No other person informed the family of my Uncle's death.

The Sister's letter is still in the family.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

quote: Since writing up my research I've been contacted by a nephew of this man who has asked whether the writing of such letters was a matter of course, part of their 'duties' so to speak, or whether it was a more spontaneous and personal expression of sympathy in individual cases.

I don't know the answer - I suspect the former - can anyone help?

Charles,

I suspect that Moston is right; that when a soldier died away from his own unit, then the duty (for want of a better word) which was normally performed by one of his officers, would then devolve on to the hospital's senior staff

Here is the only example which I have personally come across: see

regards

Michael

Edited by spof

It seems to be just normal good manners.

William Thomas Stokes was reported to have been hospitalised with a serious machine-gun wound in the chest, and he died of wounds on Friday November 3rd 1916. A nurse sent his mother a lock of his hair.

His mother received the following letter from the Reverend Gardiner, saying: “I am very sorry to be the bearer to you of exceedingly sad news. Your son 31826 Private W. Stokes, of the 3rd Durham Light Infantry, attached to 27th Northumberland Fusiliers, died in the 2nd Casualty Clearing Station, on 3rd November, of the wounds he received in action. The wounds being in the chest, his breathing was a great difficulty, and though everything was tried to relieve him he suffered a great deal of pain. On the night before he died, when I saw him and had prayers with him, I noticed that he was very weak and worn out. It will be a source of consolation to you to know how bravely the poor lad bore his wounds, as also to remember how faithfully he had done his duty on the battlefield, and finally laid down his life in his country’s cause. I conducted the funeral service this morning when his remains were reverently laid to rest in the pretty military cemetery here.”

And one from Germany:

The Holmfirth Express published this report on the death of John Wallace Battye: “Yesterday Mrs. Andrew Battye, 48 Back Lane, Holmfirth, received information from Germany that one of her sons had died in hospital at Stettin. The message is written in German, and, translated reads: ‘The information is sent to you that the English prisoner of war, John Wallace Battye, 13 East York. Regt., No 25430, died on 1 Dec, 1916, in the hospital here from a wound (shrapnel wound in the back)’. The message is dated Dec 2nd. Pte. Battye, it will be remembered, was reported missing on Nov. 13th, and a comrade wrote his mother that he was a prisoner. The news also came that he was ‘going on fine’. Before joining the colours, Pte. Battye, who was 30 years of age, was employed as a willeyer at Firth Bros., Shepley, and he went out to France on June 5th.

Tony.

My Gt Uncle died of wounds in No 21 General Hospital Alexadria. My Grandmother received quite deltailed lettes of condolence from both the Chaplain and the Matron, though the latter is signed 'on behalf of the Matron'. A further letter was received fom the Bisop of Salisbury though this was typed had no 'personal' feel about it; almost like one printed from a word processing package with just the name of recipient inserted.

Peter