Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to find the decendants of a WW1 solder?

alaneshaw

Hello

I have come into posession (by accident) of 2 WW1 medals with the same name on the edge, this being 023031 C. Turnor A.O.C.

These 2 medals (one gilt and one bronze) cost me nothing and I would very much like to give them to the decendants of Mr Turnor. I have researched his name on the net and found the record of Cecil Turnor and the Army Ordnance Corp, with an address in Coventry, (from the WW1 medal list), but then I can find no record of him in the 1901 census, or in any registers of birth death or marraige.

Can anyone please suggest a way that I could make contact with his family, it is an unusual name, but I cannot seem to sind our any more about him?

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I'll start looking as well. The address at 12 Gordon St, Butts, Coventry on the MIC is obviously not a relatives as it is marked E/O or is it C/O Care of.

We should be able to trace the family. There's a Cecil Turner aged 7 shown as a boarder on the 1901 census, I'll do a bit more digging later.

Regards Barry

And the difficulty here is that, three generations on, there will be a number of branches of the family with potential equal claim. If each generation only had two kids, that's 16 families.

However, the start would be Turnors still living in Coventry.

Hi,

Who knows John it could be only one generation on, my father and two uncles fought in WW1 and yes I am

not as young as I used to be groan

David

Thanks very much indeed for the input from you all.

I guess that he may have been entered in the sensus as Turner instead of Turnor? That might explain why I can't find him in the 1901 sensus.

Not sure what you mean by Boarder? Barry.

I never thought about several families wanting the medals, it just seems a shame that I have them and they would probably mean a lot to his grandkids, maybe I am just a romantic.

I will keep looking, but ifyou can give me any more advice it will be great.

Thanks and goodnight!

Alan

Hi all

Have checked out the Turnor website tree there is one Michael Cecil B Turnor b1st q. 1895 Berkswell, Worcs. Reg'd Solihull. Would appear not the one

Regards Barry

Hello again to everyone.

I called up one of the numbers in Leicester with the name Tornor and believe it or not, Cyril Turnor is the uncle of the elderly gentleman who answered the phone!

He is going to research where the decendants are and come back to me, so it seems like the medals may well be going to where they belong.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

This site is a wonderful tribute to all of those brave souls.

Thanks again

Alan