Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm off to Gallipoli

mjk

Hello:

This is my first post so I am a raw recruit.

I have been to France and Belgium many times. I live in Canada and I'm a history teacher. Although I spend a great deal of time on the Somme I have always wanted to visit Gallipoli. I am in the early planning stages for a trip in 2005. So I have a number of questions.

1. Where should I stay?

2. I plan to go for a week, and spend most of it on foot. Is the battlefield walkable if I only have a week there. (travel time March or April)

3. I would like to go in April for the anniversary, if so do I book now!?

4. I will more than likely be travelling alone, how safe is it?

5. From Canada what is the easiest way to get there, ie. land at Istanbul and hire a car?

Thanks for any help

Mike

Mike,

I've been only once and it was with a large group. See related tread under Battles, battlefields and places, "Gallipoli May 02". None the less I'll take first stab but more seasoned Gallipoli visitors will soon join in and square up things.

2. I plan to go for a week, and spend most of it on foot. Is the battlefield walkable if I only have a week there. (travel time March or April) The battlefield is walkable but be prepared, it's very rough country. In most places it's also very remote. Good walking boots, long pants, a sun hat, and water are a must!

3. I would like to go in April for the anniversary, if so do I book now!? It may already be too late but I'll let other more experienced Pals comment on this.

4. I will more than likely be travelling alone, how safe is it? I'm not a fan of traveling alone and I'd be really hesitant about doing Gallipoli alone. This is due mainly to the rough terrain and remoteness of the area. Also packs of wild dogs are a problem.

5. From Canada what is the easiest way to get there, ie. land at Istanbul and hire a car? That's how I'd do it.

I hope this gets you started. Trust me others will be along soon and provide a wealth of knowldge.

Good Luck and Bon Voyage,

Jon

1. Where should I stay?

Hotels at Canakkale; Abide Hotel at Sedd-ul-Bahr; Kum Moteljust south of Gaba Tepe or Pensiyon Helles Panorama at Sedd-ul Bahr, the latter a little more basic but homely and fine turkish food. It is run by an ex CWGC head gardener and it is here that many of the real enthusiats can be found. Erol Baycan, the owner is very helpful. Staying in Canakkale means crossing the dardanelles each day which adds time. You can also stay in Eceabat or further north, but I don't have any names.

2. I plan to go for a week, and spend most of it on foot. Is the battlefield walkable if I only have a week there. (travel time March or April)

The three parts of the battlefield are:

Suvla Bay - here it is most helpful to have transport as the distances are further.

Anzac is compact and easily walked.

Helles is also walkable but a little more spread.

Of course it depends where you stay and how you get from there to each part of the battlefield. Local transport is mixed - there are some basic services but they can be idiosyncratic. Taxis are not expensive, but may not be too easy to find.

3. I would like to go in April for the anniversary, if so do I book now!?

Book Early - it gets very very busy.

4. I will more than likely be travelling alone, how safe is it?

The local population are essentially friendly and helpful but there are issues such as wild dogs, or the semi wild dogs which accompany shepherds/goatherds. In the latter case a careful approach will enable the goatherd to guide you past safely.

The biggest concern would probably be what happens if you have an accident in a remote spot.

5. From Canada what is the easiest way to get there, ie. land at Istanbul and hire a car?

The best ways in are to fly to Istanbul OR Izmir and drive or take a bus from there.

Do get a copy of the Australian guidebook "Gallipoli - a battlefield guide" by Taylor & Cupper, which you may need to order from Australia.

I hope that is a useful start. By all means PM or email me if you want more detail.

Finally, it really is worth while making the effort.

Martin

Hi Mike,

You may find the Gallipoli Battlefields part of my WW1 website of use in planning your trip:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/gallipo...attlefields.htm

It is possible to walk the battlefields of Gallipoli, but as mentioned above it does have its drawbacks and there are potential dangers... while taxis are indeed normally cheap, I suspect they will be charging a premium around the time of the anniversary. There is also little civilisation on the battlefields, so you would need to make sure you had a good supply of water with you as it can be very hot even in April.

Talking of the Anniversary; I think you would be advised to book soon to be there for 25th April. It will also be swarming with people, which might detract from the surroundings a little bit, but if you want to attend the dawn service on ANZAC then it is the time to go.

Personally I have never been on 25th April, and have no plans to do so for these very reasons - too many people. Gallipoli is a magical place, best experienced when there are few visitors about! But that's just a personal thing. My two favourite periods are May and September.

Have a great trip!

I agree with Paul about Greece in September. A wonderful time of the year there. Early Spring is great too , but the crowds that go for the April events don't appeal much to me either.

I agree with Paul about Greece in September. A wonderful time of the year there. Early Spring is great too , but the crowds that go for the April events don't appeal much to me either.

Ian,

Gallipoli is in Turkey!

Of course if you were looking to visit the Salonika battlefields you might be looking at Greece and the Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia (FYROM). The climates are similar and the same warnings can apply - though you do not have to worry about armed border guards on Gallipoli.

As Paul says May & September are particularly good times to go. April 25th attendance means vast crowds, difficultly finding accomodation etc., but if you are determined to attend the ceremonies - just go for it.

As for the choice of May or September...

In May the peninsula is more colourful and by September the flora has turned from green to baked brown. On the other hand some of the areas you might want to explore, such as the upper reaches of Gully Ravine are difficult because you may still be struggling through mud and water. In September it's generally dry and is relatively easy to walk. Take your pick. From June to August it's VERY hot.

Most importantly, as Paul says, you can never carry too much water - you will literally drink it by the litre.

Most importantly, as Paul says, you can never carry too much water - you will literally drink it by the litre.

Martin - they DO got beer there! :lol:

Boy, with the narrow roads, few places to stay, I would sure not go April 25 but it's not my trip.