Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

irish guards

manumercer

hi would anyone help me in finding any information or photos of my partners great grandfather private william fry service number 1245.

we do no the wereabouts of his grave but would really appreciate any other info

look forward to hearing from anyone

Kind regards

Gary mercer

Hello Gary

With a service number as low as that and his date and place of death he would appear to have been a regular soldier. You would have two options, I think.

Firstly you could pin down his unit from his medal index card and the medal rolls at Kew. Given he was a regular that unit photo, I think, would have a better chance of still being around. Once you have this info you could post here or perhaps try

guardsmuseum@aol.com

Secondly, I would think there is a good chance his death will be written up in the local newspaper for the area - 'Portadown Times?' - copies are held in Belfast and are freely searchable.

Good luck with your search.

David

Pte. 1245 William Fry, 1st Bn IG was born in Tullylish and enlisted in Banbrdge, Co. Down. Listed as DoW on 15th November 1914. There is a good write-up here in a previous thread that takes you up to 7th November 1914

Jon

Hello Gary

With a service number as low as that and his date and place of death he would appear to have been a regular soldier. You would have two options, I think.

Firstly you could pin down his unit from his medal index card and the medal rolls at Kew. Given he was a regular that unit photo, I think, would have a better chance of still being around. Once you have this info you could post here or perhaps try

guardsmuseum@aol.com

Secondly, I would think there is a good chance his death will be written up in the local newspaper for the area - 'Portadown Times?' - copies are held in Belfast and are freely searchable.

Good luck with your search.

David

Thanks for the help David we do no he was shot 2 days into the war and died a fews days later thanks again Gary

Gary

PM me you e-mail address as I have quite a bit of information on William Fry, including pictures. His name appears not only on Banbridge Town War memorial where he was born/lived but also on Gilford War Memorial where he was living with his wife Annie at the time of his death. I did some research on him a couple of years ago for my own small publication, "The Lads Who Marched Away", on those from the Church of Ireland parish of Seapatrick, Banbridge, who gave theri lives in both the Great War and WWII. His name also appears on the War Memorial Tablet in the aforementioned church as well. I also have a picture of his headstone in France courtesy of a recent visit from a pal on the GWF.

Regards, Tommy.

Gary

PM me you e-mail address as I have quite a bit of information on William Fry, including pictures. His name appears not only on Banbridge Town War memorial where he was born/lived but also on Gilford War Memorial where he was living with his wife Annie at the time of his death. I did some research on him a couple of years ago for my own small publication, "The Lads Who Marched Away", on those from the Church of Ireland parish of Seapatrick, Banbridge, who gave theri lives in both the Great War and WWII. His name also appears on the War Memorial Tablet in the aforementioned church as well. I also have a picture of his headstone in France courtesy of a recent visit from a pal on the GWF.

Regards, Tommy.

hi tommy

so glad to hear you have information about william my partner has been trying to get info for ages she is very interested in finding out about her great grandfather this is my email address; garymercer390@btinternet.com we are so grateful to you

many thanks

gary

Tommy

Could you maybe post a photo or some info- just out of curiosity?

What a small world it is..the scots have a saying..'we're all Jock (something)'s wee lads' - Ulster translation.

David

David - some basic details for you.

William George Fry

Private 1245

1st Battalion, Irish Guards

Died of Wounds, 15th Niovember 1914

Aged 31

Son of John and Martha Fry, originally from Huntly, Banbridge. Husband of Annie Fry, Red Row, Gilford, Co Down and father to six children.

Gary - e-mail sent and his picture below, not a great one as it was scanned from a local almanac published at the time of the Great War.

Regards, Tommy.

His name on the Great War Memorial in Seapatrick Parish Church, Banbridge.

Regards, Tommy.

His name on the Great War Memorial in Seapatrick Parish Church, Banbridge.

Regards, Tommy.

This is ace tommy thankyou so much hes so like my partners late uncle cecil hear from you soon

gary.

Gary

E-mail sent with attachment, bit big so hopefully it will download all right, hope you enjoy the read

Regards, Tommy.

Just for the completeness of the thread, his name on the Gilford War Memorial, Co Down.

Regards, Tommy.