Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone tell me anything about my relative

petesmate

Hello All,

I would be pleased if anyone can give me any details on this relative of mine.

I have the form that he signed when joining the army.

His name was Herbert Stephen Clover of 122 Tredegar Rd Bow, born1897.

The form says Territorial Army Force, 17th County of London Batt No 1571 and is dated 1st May 1913, he signed for 4 years.

He did survive the war as he was married in 1921.

Can anyone tell me anything, what would he have served in and where, did he go abroad, would he have seen action etc, any info at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, kind regards.

Peter.

His name was Herbert Stephen Clover of 122 Tredegar Rd Bow

Weren't the 17th (Poplar and Stepney) Rifles formed at 66 Tredegar Road, Bow? :unsure:

He didn't have far to walk.

They were part of 47th Division, which did serve in F & F, so there's a good chance he did serve abroad.

But can't seem to find an MIC.

Peter. He appeared before a District Courts Martial for fraudulently enlisting in the 17th thats why his card is the Duke of Cornwalls Lght Infantry. Do you have all his papers ? Ancestry has a total of 14. Ralph.

I think these records need to be read carefully by yourself first, there are more pages before than after the opening page, enlisted at age 16 as a rifleman.

Rgds Paul

PS welcome by the way Peter to the forum

Hello,

Thank you all for replying to me, that is a great help and a good start.

Can I ascertain, it looks like he got 3 medals on the card the bottom one is 15 Star yes. the two above are very faint, any idea what these may be.

Would it be too much of a problem to ask someone with Ancestry to download his papers for me, if so I will sit on it for a while.

Thanks again, with best wishes.

Peter.

Peter

That's an understatement "a good start" ! In less than 2 hours after you ask you have knowledge that his service papers survived,his MIC with 3 medals,and some of his history on a double enlistment. Others will have to wait a great deal of time and find very little. So,good luck with your good fortune in respect of this soldier.

The three medals are British War Medal,the Victory Medal and the 1915 Star.

What you need now is to convert the Roll details on the MIC,viz:C1/101/B/2 page 166 from the original medal Roll records at Kew, in the series WO329, and you may get the Battalion he served in with the DCLI.but a visit is necessary,or a look up by someone for you.

There'll doubtless be more before the night is out.

Sotonmate

Hello sotonmate,

Thank you kindly for coming back and the info given, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter

The date on his MIC 11.3.1915 into Theatre of war France ties in with the move of the 47th (London) Division,of which the 1/17th Battalion Londons,was a part,being attached to 140 Brigade. See this page from the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/47div.htm

This will give you the make up of the Brigades in the Division and where they fought.

Sotonmate

Hello sotonmate,

Thank you once again for supplying information, very kind of you.

With all good wishes,

Peter.