Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 War Memorial in Salonika

milos007

Hi,

I am trying to research my great-grandfather who we believe was fighting for the Austro-Hunagrian army at the Salonika Front. We have been told that a neighbour (who is now dead) from his village many years ago visited a memorial in Salonika and saw my great-grandfathers name on the list of soldiers who died there.

Does anyone know where i can get information on the list of soldiers who fought and diead at the Salonika Front?

Your help would be very much appreciated..

Regards,

Milos

Sydney Australia

Hi Jon,

His name is Jakov Mihajlovic, born in what was then known as Bosanski Svinjar (now Srbac) in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Our family understands that he was appointed a village Knez (chief?) by the A-H authorities of the area, that is why we think he fought for them...

Regards,

Michael.

Hello Milos, and welcome to the Forum!

Your best option is probably the Schwarzes Kreuz organisation in Austria at osk.at

Click on Grabnachforschung on the right to open a form where you can request information (if you need help with the German, drop me a PM).

I am not aware of any kuk-Austrian cemeteries or memorials in Northern Greece, though that's not to say there aren't any! There may be some still in FYROM, Kosovo, Bulgaria or Albania. I know there is a cemetery and memorial in Belgrade, so maybe an email to the Austrian Embassy there might help (website aussenministerium.at/belgrad).

All the old German WW1 and WW2 cemeteries in mainland Greece were concentrated at Dionyssios-Rapendoza outside Athens in the 1960s. Maybe something similar happened with Austro-Hungarian graves.

Adrian

P.S. Consulate General of Austria in Thessaloniki - Phone: +30-2310-436-975, Fax: +30-2310-441-196