The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters - Oct 1916

sunflower

Would appreciate any help re the following:

Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby)

2nd Regiment - Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

2nd Unit - First Battalion

Can anyone tell me where this battlalion served? I know it was on the Somme somewhere, I am particularly interested in the last 2 weeks Sept and first week Oct 1916.

Cant even find a '2nd regiment - Loyal North Lancashire Reg', does it come under North Midlands?

Hoping someone can help with this.

Thanks

Sunflower

Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby)

2nd Regiment - Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

2nd Unit - First Battalion

Can anyone tell me where this battlalion served? I know it was on the Somme somewhere, I am particularly interested in the last 2 weeks Sept and first week Oct 1916.

Cant even find a '2nd regiment - Loyal North Lancashire Reg', does it come under North Midlands?

Sunflower,

You need, first of all, to understand a little about the structure and organisation of the British Army.

You have asked, it seems, about three different units.

The standard fighting infantry until was a Battalion with a nominal strength of approx. 1,000 men. Each Battalion was a part of a Regiment, so the 1st Battalion of, for example, the first Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regiment, would be known as the 1st Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby), the second was the 2nd Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) and so on. There were numerous Battalions in each regiment, sometimes over 20.

So, the first thing you need to establish is which Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regiment you are asking about. It is important to realise that although the battalions belonged to the same parent Regiment, they did not serve together in the field. They might not even have fought in the same country.

The next part you ask about, the 2nd Regiment - Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, should probably be the 2nd Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. This Battalion had nothing to do with the North Midlands.

Thirdly, "2nd Unit, First Battalion" doesn't mean much without further information to put it into some context.

I think, if you'd like further help, you should tell us what you know already and what the source of your information is. That way, someone here may be able to interpret the information and put you on the right track.

Regards,

Ken

Go to the Long, Long Trail (link top left of this page), and eiTher go to the section called "Tommies" or use search. There are pages on both the Sherwood Foresters and Loyal North Lancs.

Thanks Ken and Chris for your helpful replies

I am trying to find out about where this soldier was serving on the line when he died. I know it must have been the Somme (because of the date of death and where he is buried- 3 miles south of Albert) But the info I have is a bit confusing to say the least.

Name: BOYD, STUART

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.)

Secondary Regiment: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 1st Bn

Date of Death: 07/10/1916

Additional information: Son of Alexander Stuart Boyd and Mary Stuart Boyd, of Rewiti, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand. Artist by profession. Born at Glasgow, Scotland.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. E. 1.

Cemetery: DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

So any further help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Sunflower :)

Sunflower,

The information you have from the Commonwealth War Graves Committee means that Lieutenant Stuart Boyd was an officer of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.) and that at the time of his death he was attached (i.e. serving with) the 1st Battalion, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

This was quite common amongst officers, who would be gazetted (or appointed) as officers within a particular regiment, in this case the Sherwood Foresters and would then serve with other regiments, on attachment. Some served for most of the war away from their parent unit.

Your next step is to find out what the 1st Bn. The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment were doing on the days leading up to the death of Stuart Boyd. He was not killed in action, but died of wounds, so you may have to go back some days prior to the date you have. I suspect that the Battalion were not involved in an attack in which he received his fatal injuries because only two other men of the 1st Bn died between 1st & 7th October, 1916 and they both died of wounds.

The Battalion War Diary is held at the National Archives, Kew and there is a copy held at the Regimental Museum, Fulwood Barracks, Preston, Lancashire. There is a good chance that Boyd's wounding and death are mentioned in the Diary.

Regards,

Ken

I can have a look at the LNL history this evening for you and see

if anything mentioned for 1st Battalion for september/October 1916

Geoff

Thanks Ken and Geoff for your help.

I kind of guessed Lt Boyd died of wounds so I was trying to figure out where he was the couple of weeks before he died. But if you say they were not involved in any battles, might have been sniper fire or something?

If you can find anything out for me Geoff would really appreciate it.

Sunflower

Lt.S.Boyd was wounded in action between the 25th and 28th September 1916. They were in action in the Mametz Wood area and took part in an attack on the German trenches between Flers Line and the Crescent in front of Eaucourt L'Abbaye on the night of the 26th/27th September.

The Regimental History lists Boyd as having been wounded between these dates, being an officer of the 3/Sherwoods and having died of his wounds later.

Dave.

Thanks, you have all helped tremendously. Sunflower