Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th East Yorkshire Regiment Transport Section

gandalf10

My Grandfather is the C.O. second row centre Frank Bernard Crabtree 12/17 in the attatched photo can anybody give me any more details about where the photo was taken my grandfathers rank in this photo

post-38871-1223911548.jpg

Hello and welcome

you may have his Medal Index Card already but I'll post it here in case you don't.

What I think it says is that in 1919 he applied for his 1915 star and his rank was recorded as 2nd Lt having apparently risen through the ranks.

post-24943-1223918448.jpg

So I think 2 LT is a good guess. Looks like a Platoon/Section photo

David

Hello and welcome

you may have his Medal Index Card already but I'll post it here in case you don't.

What I think it says is that in 1919 he applied for his 1915 star and his rank was recorded as 2nd Lt having apparently risen through the ranks.

post-24943-1223918448.jpg

So I think 2 LT is a good guess. Looks like a Platoon/Troop photo.

David

Thanks David, yes I do have this medal card already, I do not profess to understand all the numbers etc on the card but yes it does look like he was 2 LT at that time. You may if you dont mind be able to continue to help me. Attached are my grandfathers discharge certificate showing a discharge date of 24-9-1918 before the end of the war, !! reason, having been granted a commision?? any idea's. Also on the other side of this document is a ref to being mentioned in despatches, I have a copy of the relevant London Gazette supplement, how do I find out what he did to be mentioned in despatches and at this time he was C.S.M.

Robert

post-38871-1224008550.jpg

post-38871-1224008564.jpg

Robert,

Welcome to the forum, any idea of the date? or maybe one of the London Gazette experts can give a commissioning date.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles, first of all being new to the forum how do I contact the London Gazette Experts.

Secondly I have replied to another member but do not know if you are able to see this reply so I will ask you the same question, if you dont mind.

Attatched is a copy of my Grandfathers Discharge Certificate, Date of Discharge 24-9-1918 before the end of the war !! reason for discharge " having been granted a commision" ??.

Also on the other side of the same it states mentioned in despatches, I have a copy of the relevant London Gazette supplement, how do I find out what he did to be mentioned.

Thanks

Robert

post-38871-1224009061.jpg

post-38871-1224009076.jpg

Robert,

I can not read the documents any chance of a larger image. But have several group photos taken in St Omer. Lt Crabtree does get a mention in the 11th Bn Short Diary as the last Transport Officer.

Regards Charles

Robert,

I can not read the documents any chance of a larger image. But have several group photos taken in St Omer. Lt Crabtree does get a mention in the 11th Bn Short Diary as the last Transport Officer.

Regards Charles

Sorry, I will do better images tommorow and post them here.

Regards

Robert

Robert,

Regards Charles

Having problems getting these pages down to 100K and keeping them readable is there any way I can send them in a larger file format direct to yourself.

Regards

Robert