Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Batalion DUKE OF CORNWALL LIGHT INFANTRY

chris champion

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I don't have any photos, but I did have a relative who served in the 1st Btn DCLI around that time. My Great Grandfather William John Harvey was KIA on 28 June 1918 and is buried at Aval Wood Military Cemetery in France. Did you have a relative who was in 1st Btn also?

My Grandfather Servied in 1st Battalion DCLI from the Day War was declared in 1914 until he was discharged from the Army due to his wounds in July 1916.

• 4 months later...

I have a couple of photos taken on a recent trip to Aval Wood Cemetery. They're general shots. If you'd like a copies, let me have an email address and I'll send them through.

Don't worry - I'm not a spammer!! :hypocrite:

Adrian

Hi,

I don't have any photos, but I did have a relative who served in the 1st Btn DCLI around that time. My Great Grandfather William John Harvey was KIA on 28 June 1918 and is buried at Aval Wood Military Cemetery in France. Did you have a relative who was in 1st Btn also?

• 6 months later...

Sorry, Adrian. I haven't visited this site for a while and only just saw your post.

Thanks, but I've been to the cemetery a couple of times and have plenty of photos. It's a really nice cemetery, as you probably know. I like the way you have to walk from the road to get to it, past the farmhouse and towards the wood. Very peaceful.

I've found some maps of the Action at La Becque during which my GG was KIA. Next time I go back I might try and trace the route of the Ist DCLI's advance.

Any reason you have photos of the cemetery?

Shaun