Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wound Insignias

greatbigseas

My grandfather's records indicate entitlement to Gold Wound Stripe (one) and Chevron Blue (one). What do these insignia specifically refer to? The wounds seem attributable to a gas event on 29 or 30 October 1918. He was with 2/6th Bn R War R. I wonder where this event may have taken place or was gas still fairly widespread at this stage of the war? John Newton

The brass wound stripe was worn on the lower left cuff and the blue chevron was awarded for overseas service, a red chevron was issued for 1914 and the subsequent 4 years were blue, the were worn on the lower right sleeve

post-15439-1223817359.jpg

post-15439-1223817390.jpg

Jon

My grandfather's records indicate entitlement to Gold Wound Stripe (one) and Chevron Blue (one). What do these insignia specifically refer to? The wounds seem attributable to a gas event on 29 or 30 October 1918. He was with 2/6th Bn R War R. I wonder where this event may have taken place or was gas still fairly widespread at this stage of the war? John Newton

It would seem from interpretation of entries (courtesy of Steve) on other forms that 2/6th was somewhere near Delsaux Farm (near the village of Beugny) as of November 1918 as this is where the casualty clearing station was located that first received him on after gas poisoning.

The brass wound stripe was worn on the lower left cuff and the blue chevron was awarded for overseas service, a red chevron was issued for 1914 and the subsequent 4 years were blue, the were worn on the lower right sleeve

post-15439-1223817359.jpg

post-15439-1223817390.jpg

Jon

Jon, thank you very much. Bit by bit the fog is clearing. John

I wasn't aware of that, thanks Grumpy

Jon

Not to say that very many more gilding metal versions are found these days: clearly, they had better survivability.

Also, they were easily removed and replaced if needs be.