Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'B' and 'L' Batteries, RHA

snavek

I'm researching two men who died serving with these Batteries. The 'B' Battery man DoW 20/1/18 and the 'L' Battery man DoW 14/8/17.

The Long Long Trail tells me that both Batteries were in XVI Brigade, 29th Division between January 1915 and February 1917, after which they became Army Brigade, RHA.

Farndale's 'History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front 1914-18' shows them on 11/11/1918 as Divisional Troops, 15 Brigade, 29th Division.

So now I'm confused (what's new!), were they 15 or 16 Brigade and what's the difference between Army Brigade and Divisional Troops? can anyone help please?

Keith

My records indicate that B, L and Y Batteries, RHA served with XV Brigade, RHA from 1915 until the end of the war and that XVI Brigade, RHA consisted of A, Q and U Battery, RHA from 1915 to the end of the war. Dick Flory

Keith, the key difference between Army and Division Brigades lay in who 'owned' them. Batteries in divisional units had a strong sense of affiliation to their parent divisions, even though they did not always fight with their divisions. In a big campaign, divisional artillery brigades might be detached and then reassigned to another unit, sometimes at corps and sometimes at divisional level. Also, when a division moved, the artillery might remain behind for a while until the new division's artillery had got into position and settled in. Failure to ensure this overlap could lead to nasty consequences, such as when the British took over the Nieuport sector from the French in 1917. Army Brigades were, as the name suggests, assets of Army Commands. These brigades were passed around according to need. The men in these brigades had no sense of belonging. Given that many of them had served in divisional units, then they often felt this lack of belonging quite acutely at times. This is a theme that runs through the personal histories written by men who served in Army Brigades.

Robert

Hi,

I used to serve in B and L Bty RHA for 20+ years, during that time I collated a lot of history information together. if you send me the soldiers names I will see what I can dig up on them for you..

Regards,

Rick

Thanks for all this gentlemen:-

Dick, thats virtually what Farndale records for Armistice Day. He has Third Army, Army Brigades RHA, 16 Brigade A, Q and U. 14 Brigade F, T, 400. Both as 18 pounder batteries, 14 Brigade also has 401 as a 4.5'' Howitzer Battery.

15 Brigade is listed under Divisional Troops with 17 Brigade, 29 Division. 15 Brigade RHA has B, L and 1/1 Warwickshire Batteries (18 pdr) with 460 Battery RFA (4.5'' How). 17 brigade has 13, 26 and 92 batteries (18 pdr) and D Battery (4.5'' How).

Robert, that clarifies the differences and I'm grateful. However I'm still left up in the air given all thats gone before if B and L Batteries were Army Brigade or Divisional Troops.

Rick, that would be brilliant, they were 128929 Gunner William Reynolds, L Battery, died of wounds 14/8/17 and 68900 Gunner Alfred Barrett, B Battery, died of wounds 20/1/18. I've done the usual searches CWGC, MiC, Soldiers Died CD ROM, 1901 Census, Farndale, LLT and gleaned as much info from those so anything that you can come up with would be a tremendous bonus.

Keith

Keith, 15th Brigade RHA was a divisional brigade, not an army one. There is mention of it in the book "29th Divisional Artillery: War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918", reprinted by Naval and Military Press. The RHA batteries were all upgraded from the 13- to the 18-pdr field guns.

Robert

Hi,

I used to serve in B and L Bty RHA for 20+ years, during that time I collated a lot of history information together. if you send me the soldiers names I will see what I can dig up on them for you..

Regards,

Rick

Hello Rick, just wondering if you found anything on my two RHA men?

Regards,

Keith