Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Rose Scott/ John Vowel Marchant - Gordon Highlanders

weston555

Hello!

I know very little about my grandfather - John Vowel Marchant (b.1917) but I'm really trying to piece together his life, and his father's side, of which I know was Scottish (and that is as much as I can uncover, as he never talked about his past.) - Aberdeen.

Does anyone know of Private, John Rose Scott, from Aberdeen? or any ideas how may be best for me to proceed? - were soldiers allowed leave in England from the Western Front? I am trying to work out whether he could have met my grandad's mother in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and so my grandfather being born later in 1917.

The picture I have attatched is of my grandfather (Marchant) during the 2nd World War, but it is his cap that I am interested in. I think it is a Gordon Highlanders cap - does anyone know any more information about it - I am wondering whether it was his fathers (as iIknow grandad was not in any scottish regiment) - Is is a WW1 cap?

Thank you very much for you time,

Amy.

(I couldn't attach the photo as it was larger than 100k, so please follow the link below which will take you straight to the picture! Thank you.)

[Broken link removed]

Hi Amy,

To answer bits of your question,

Yes soldiers were given leave from the Western Front - where they went was up to them. Most went home of course - but others went to see sweethearts etc instead (or as well)

My own great grandfather spent at least one leave in Bedford (where he had been training prior to going to France) - the existence of my grandad is evidence of that! ^_^

Depending upon when he enlisted or was conscripted of course he could have met your grandmother in Kent prior to leaving for France and Flanders rather than during a leave period.

If your great grandfather was from Aberdeen there is a good chance he was in the Gordons. I did a quick search and found two possible candidates (there may well be others!)

John R Scott Gordon Highlanders S/24879

John R Scott Gordon Highlanders, 6426, 292565

I think a census search or a look at Scotland's People might be a good place to start.........

Ahhh well I should have looked earlier - if John Rose Scott is your Great Grandfather:

Name: SCOTT, JOHN ROSE

Initials: J R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/04/1917

Service No: 292565

Additional information: Son of George and Margaret Scott, of Smithy, Crimond, Lonmay, Aberdeenshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVIII. C. 6.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

This may help! This is his Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry.

and this is his Medal Index Card....

The cap (strictly speaking called a "glengarry") is of the Gordons' pattern but several regiments wore this pattern and without seeing the badge it is hard to tell what your grandfather's regiment was. I think it is unlikely that he is wearing his father's cap - more likely his own. WWI Glengarries generally have a leather sweatband - the one in the picture appears to be fabric.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed in a bit of a rush! - hope it is helpful

Hi

The fact he is wearing parchute wings dates the photo as post 1941 highly unlikely the glengarry is WW1.

regards

John

Thank you very much for all your help, 4thGordons, Tyneside Chinaman, jay dubaya. It was very kind of you to get back to me so quickly and with good information, I will keep looking!

Amy

John Rose Scott probabl died of wounds from action at Arras

War Diary:

Arras / 22.4.17

Battalion paraded in the morning by Coys. and were issued with special stores rations for Z Day. Capt. Adam took over duty as Adjutant and held a meeting of Officers and N.C.Os. explaining the objective in the battle of the following day.

6.00 p.m. Packs were stacked and stored and Battalion marched out in fighting order by Coys. at 6 p.m. under command of Major Milne, Capt. Adam and 2/Lieut. R. D. Worling forming Hqrs. personnel. See Operation Order and Instructions.

Trenches Arras Front / 23.4.17

The Battalion got into assembly trenches and at 4.45 a.m. our barrage opened with great intensity – See special report (Appendix No.9) of operations during the battle.

Trenches Arras Front (Support) / 24.4.17

As for 23rd. inst.

12 noon Battalion moved back to Hindenburg Line in the morning and was relieved at night , moving in to Arras. (Casualties in Appendices No. 10 & 11)

Arras & Foufflin Richametz/ 25.4.17

9.00 a.m. Battalion in Billets – Paraded at Station Arras at 1.00 p.m. and moved by train at 3.15 p.m. to Foufflin Ricametz – arriving about 8.15 p.m. Very good billets – Weather fine and dry.

Foufflin Richametz/ 26.4.17

Resting and cleaning up – Echelon B arrived having marched from ACQ.

Foufflin Richametz/ 27.4.17

Cleaning equipment., clothing etc. Coys. at disposal of Coy. Commanders. Reorganisation. Draft of 66 O.Rs. (Casuals) arrived from Div. Depot.

Foufflin Richametz/ 28.4.17

Re-organisation – 2/Lieut. R. G. Lindsay rejoined Battalion from U.K.

Foufflin Richametz/ 29.4.17

Brig. Gen. Campbell C.B. addressed the Battalion at 10.30 a.m. and congratulated all for the very fine work done in recent operations. Divine Services were held for R.C. and C. of E. Presbyterian Service was not held owing to error in arrangements,

He was from Crimond, (Lonmay), Aberdeenshire and enlisted Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire

Jane

Hello 'Sparky53'

Thank you very much for the war diary, and your help.

Amy.

John Rose Scott probabl died of wounds from action at Arras

War Diary:

Arras / 22.4.17

Battalion paraded in the morning by Coys. and were issued with special stores rations for Z Day. Capt. Adam took over duty as Adjutant and held a meeting of Officers and N.C.Os. explaining the objective in the battle of the following day.

6.00 p.m. Packs were stacked and stored and Battalion marched out in fighting order by Coys. at 6 p.m. under command of Major Milne, Capt. Adam and 2/Lieut. R. D. Worling forming Hqrs. personnel. See Operation Order and Instructions.

Trenches Arras Front / 23.4.17

The Battalion got into assembly trenches and at 4.45 a.m. our barrage opened with great intensity – See special report (Appendix No.9) of operations during the battle.

Trenches Arras Front (Support) / 24.4.17

As for 23rd. inst.

12 noon Battalion moved back to Hindenburg Line in the morning and was relieved at night , moving in to Arras. (Casualties in Appendices No. 10 & 11)

Arras & Foufflin Richametz/ 25.4.17

9.00 a.m. Battalion in Billets – Paraded at Station Arras at 1.00 p.m. and moved by train at 3.15 p.m. to Foufflin Ricametz – arriving about 8.15 p.m. Very good billets – Weather fine and dry.

Foufflin Richametz/ 26.4.17

Resting and cleaning up – Echelon B arrived having marched from ACQ.

Foufflin Richametz/ 27.4.17

Cleaning equipment., clothing etc. Coys. at disposal of Coy. Commanders. Reorganisation. Draft of 66 O.Rs. (Casuals) arrived from Div. Depot.

Foufflin Richametz/ 28.4.17

Re-organisation – 2/Lieut. R. G. Lindsay rejoined Battalion from U.K.

Foufflin Richametz/ 29.4.17

Brig. Gen. Campbell C.B. addressed the Battalion at 10.30 a.m. and congratulated all for the very fine work done in recent operations. Divine Services were held for R.C. and C. of E. Presbyterian Service was not held owing to error in arrangements,

He was from Crimond, (Lonmay), Aberdeenshire and enlisted Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire

Jane

• 5 months later...

37th Divisional School was located at Foufflin Ricametz at this period.

• 6 years later...

Hi Amy555 i wonder if you have had any progress with your Search for the John Scott you were looking for

if the info you are searching for is details about John Rose Scott from Crimond who died 29/4/1917 then

i may be able to help.If you still require information on JR Scott please let me Know

John

John. Over 7 years since Amy was on this site, I have sent a PM (personal message) to her, she may respond after all this time. Ralph.

Hi there,

I would be interested in more information relating to John Rose Scott. He was my grandmothers' brother. I don't have any pictures of John (or his brother Robert who was also killed in WWI) but I have his parents & most of the other siblings. Thanks in advance

Kath