Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian Awards for British soldiers

Guest igor_ost

hi there all, im doing some family research and came across a relative who fought in mesopotamia and was award a DCM for gallantry but in the newspaper report we found him in it also said he was awarded the Russian Order of St George, but on his grave citation it says he only won the DCM and MM, could this be a misprint or has he been awarded it? is there any lists of recipients, he is LCpl James Tobin, Connaught Rangers, 5089, he was awarded the DCM and MM on 10th April 1916 and he died on the 21st of March 1918 in France

thanks 

chloe

Hello,

You could consult these files at The National Archives, at Kew in Greater London. They have not been digitised.

File 1 of 2

Reference: WO 388/4/2
Description:

Decorations received from Russia (Index only)

Date: [1915-1921]

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6529657

File 2 of 2

Reference: WO 388/4/5
Description:

Decorations received from Russia

Date: 1915-1920

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6529660

Best of luck with your research
Keith

thank you keith_history_buff for the information, it was just odd seeing that award knowing it was russian but awarded to a scotsman, i will keep looking and see if i get anywhere

chloe

9 hours ago, ctoye1992 said:

hi there all, im doing some family research and came across a relative who fought in mesopotamia and was award a DCM for gallantry but in the newspaper report we found him in it also said he was awarded the Russian Order of St George, but on his grave citation it says he only won the DCM and MM, could this be a misprint or has he been awarded it? is there any lists of recipients, he is LCpl James Tobin, Connaught Rangers, 5089, he was awarded the DCM and MM on 10th April 1916 and he died on the 21st of March 1918 in France

thanks 

chloe

Hi Chloe

The London Gazette for his Russian award

Page 4727 | Supplement 30070, 15 May 1917 | London Gazette | The Gazette

I have a note

Awarded in July 1916.
GHQ, Indian Expeditionary Force “D”.
Prefaced ‘22 Dec 1916’

died – 21.3.18 as 6th Bn

The Russian award would not be on his grave citation as foreign awards do not carry post nominals as the British DCM and MM do.

Peter

10 minutes ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi Chloe

The London Gazette for his Russian award

Page 4727 | Supplement 30070, 15 May 1917 | London Gazette | The Gazette

I have a note

Awarded in July 1916.
GHQ, Indian Expeditionary Force “D”.
Prefaced ‘22 Dec 1916’

died – 21.3.18 as 6th Bn

The Russian award would not be on his grave citation as foreign awards do not carry post nominals as the British DCM and MM do.

Peter

Thank you so much for finding this, I wonder if he won it for the same reason as his DCM (he volunteered for a dangerous mission of sorts with one companion who unfortunately died on the way back) again thank you

Chloe

would there be any way of knowing execept for war diaries what his medals were for? and also im struggling to find his DCM and MM mentioned in the london gazette

chloe

Edited by ctoye1992

• 2 months later...

I found that my Great Uncle - RSM William Carroll, Royal Irish Rifles - received the Medal of St George [1st Class]. He was gazetted on for this 25/8/15. Around the same time he also received the M.C. There were a lot of British soldiers gazetted at the same time https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29275/supplement/8510/data.pdf

Thanks to links from other members, I believe his M.C. resulted from action in the Battle of Aubers Ridge on May 9th, when RIR were cut off overnight in forward positions in the German trenches, until being withdrawn [200 survivors made it back] in the early hours of the 10th https://wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/battalion.php?pid=6350.

What I haven't been able to find out is what the reasons behind the award of a Russian medal to British service personnel.

Does anyone know?

1 hour ago, AJT said:

What I haven't been able to find out is what the reasons behind the award of a Russian medal to British service personnel.

Does anyone know?

This is probably the best answer to your question 

The following thread is likely to be of interest. Unfortunately, the thread got disrupted by someone banging on about the equivalent of being a bridesmaid at Mollie Sugden's wedding. (If you are not familiar with the Liz character from "Little Britain", who has to raise that subject unnecessarily, you won't know what I mean.)

Interesting to see that in the same manner that Frank Richards' peers who were awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1915 were getting a Russian gallantry award, your Great Uncle was likewise getting two decorations. 

• 1 month later...

hello

Please find a group in my collection with to which the 2nd Lt was awarded both a Military Cross as well a Russian Order of St Anne 3rd Class with Swords

I added the Order of St Anne (Replacement) to complete the group, as when I brought the group it was missing and for some reason it also had a 39/45 star which after researching he would never had been entitled to so I removed it, so this is full and correct entitlement all original apart from the St Anne

Regards

Caz

DSC_3695.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 13/01/2022 at 13:06, cazack said:

hello

Please find a group in my collection with to which the 2nd Lt was awarded both a Military Cross as well a Russian Order of St Anne 3rd Class with Swords

I added the Order of St Anne (Replacement) to complete the group, as when I brought the group it was missing and for some reason it also had a 39/45 star which after researching he would never had been entitled to so I removed it, so this is full and correct entitlement all original apart from the St Anne

Regards

Caz

DSC_3695.JPG

Dear Cazack,

the correct order of St.Anna 3rd Class with swords and bow should looks like this.

limg2.jpg

Edited by Mikhail

Mate,

Sorry no photos

BROWN    Allan    121    Pte    02 LHR    A Sqn to MG Sect 2-15 WIA 14-7-15 L/foot shot at Popes Post evac to Floriana hosp Malta 7-15 rtn 10-15 (G) att WFF 1-16 to Cpl (from Nicholson) 3-16 to T/Sgt (from Nicholson) 3-16 revert 5-16 reported emb to UK for commision 11-16 to 4 ADBD Etaples 1-17 to 49Bn 1-17 prom 2/Lt 3-2-17 WIA 15-7-17 L/arm & hip shrapnel reported 6 killed and 1 officer and 20 men wounded during their tour (from 12 to 20 july) in the front line around Warneton F&B to special duty with Imperial Army 6-18 relist Capt PSL att Military misson part of Gen Ironsides North Russia force MID - reason not stated reported MIA believed PoW now reported killed by his own Slavo British Legion a locally raised irregular Russian unit mutinied and killed its British officers buried Archangel Allied Cemetery Russia brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for war for Valuable Services in Northern Russia awarded Russian Order of St Anne 3rd class with swords and Russian Order of St Stanislas 3rd class with swords (British The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry TF)    British TF    Clerk    23    Brisbane Qld    25-8-14    KIA 20-7-19    Old Trafford Manchester UK

S.B