Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Nursing Sisters

Guest ElizaD

The Canadian Army Medical Corps was asked to provide medical units Gallipoli and Salonika in 1915 even though no Canadian army units were serving there. I am writing about the nursing sisters who were at No. 4 and No. 5 Canadian General Hospitals from the autumn of 1915 to the summer of 1917. A number of them were mentioned in despatches and several were awarded the Royal Red Cross medal. Can anyone suggest where I might find more specific information about their "valuable services with the Armies in the Field?" I have the L.G. numbers for one of the nurses.

Suggestion for sources in addition to my Canadian books and internet sites would be appreciated. I can send a link to a preliminary photostory I've posted on my website for November 11 if that would be of interest.

Thanks,

ElizaD

• 5 years later...

Eliza: If you're still about and working on your book, please drop a line. I'm researching No.4 CGH as well, but from a slightly different perspective. Wife's great aunt was one of the N/S there and kept several diaries, photos, etc...

I do have a copy of "No 4 Canadian Hospital" The letters of Professor J J MacKenzie from the Salonika Front with a memoir by his wife

Mates,

Sorry I have no Canadian nurses on record but do have a large number of AIF nurses sent to Salonika to work in the Hosps there.

S.B

Barkalot: Hadn't read that book yet, although I did read how the author died shortly after the Great War from what some insensitive "media-types" called his own experiments. Methinks I'll look up a copy and give it a go. Any decent photos in it?

it does have 12 photos in it, used to be quite readily available on the net hence I managed to find a copy with a wrapper, do not know what the availability/price is now

regards John