Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major James Horatio Hope

Lost in Tilloy

The Corstorphine War memorial in Edinburgh lists a Capt John H Hope. However, after some research, I believe that the name on the memorial is wrong and that the casualty is in fact Major James Horatio Hope. His medal card lists his address as Murrayfield which is close to Corstorphine.

I am also encountering a few inconsistences with regards to the battalion this man served in and the date of his death. He was a former student at Fettes College in Edinburgh and their record's state he served with the 2nd HLI from 1901. It also states that he was KIA on the 5th of October 1916. His medal card also lists the 2nd HLI.

However the CWGC website states he was serving with the 1st HLI at the time of his death and the date is given as the 18th of April 1916. It also states he is buried in Iraq. This seems to fit in well with the LLT which states that the 1st HLI moved to Mesopotamia in Dec 1915 as part of the 3rd (Lahore) Division whilst the 2nd HLI were in France and Flanders.

I've searched a few local newpapers around both dates but there is no direct mention of the man. There are a number of articles about fighting around the Tigris River in April 1916 which would suggest that the CWGC date might be the right one.

Does anyone have access to the 1st HLI War Diary for both dates in order to see if Major Hope is listed as KIA?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

LIT

Hi, it's been a while since we've said hello.

Not helping you with date of death, but the following article from the Scotsman confirms your belief that his name on the memorial is wrong and also shows that he initially served with the 2nd HLI (fits with entry date of 13th Aug 1914).

The Scotsman - Monday, 15th November 1915, page 9:

MIDLOTHIAN OFFICER AGAIN WOUNDED

Captain James Horatio Hope, 2nd H.L.I., who has been wounded for the second time, is a son of Mr J. B. Hope of Belmont, Midlothian. Born in 1881, he entered the Army at tha age of twenty, was appointed Lieutenant five years later, and Captain in 1911. He acted as A.D.C. to the Governor of Victoria from June 1908 to October 1909. Captain Hope has been at the front with his regiment since the outbreak of the war. He was wounded in the Mons fighting, and afterwards was awarded the Legion of Honour. On this occasion he was wounded through the explosion of a German mine. The injuries are not of a serious nature.

All the best,

Stuart

After a bit of a struggle, I have found another report in the Hootsmon which fits with the April date of death recorded by the CWGC:

The Scotsman - Saturday, 29th April 1916, page 8:

H.L.I. OFFICERS MISSING AND WOUNDED

Major J. H. Hope, H.L.I. (missing), is a son of Mr James Edward Hope of Belmont, Midlothian. Major Hope, who was born in 1881, was promoted to his present rank in January 1916.

Also listed as wounded and missing is 'Capt. R. Knox' - CWGC records his date of death as 17th April 1916.

STOP PRESS

The Scotsman - Wednesday, 10th May 1916, page 8:

MIDLOTHIAN MAJOR KILLED

Major J. H. Hope, Highland Light Infantry (killed), was the eldest son of Mr J. Edward Hope, Belmont, Midlothian. He was 35 years of age, and joined the Highland Light Infantry in 1901. He was appointed Major in January last. He served in the capacity of A.D.C. to the Governor of Victoria in 1908-9. He was reported missing last month.

That seals it.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hey Stuart

Good to hear from you and many thanks for solving the mystery. I appreciate all your hard work. Looks like he may have initially served in the Great War with the 2nd HLI then transferred to the 1st at some later date.

I owe you one. With thanks.

LIT