Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battallion Royal West Kent Regiment

Guest dalmationpeggy

Guest dalmationpeggy

If anybody can help me trace the movements of my Grandfather during his time with the West Kent Regiment it would be most appreciated. I would just like to understand what he went through. I have no knowledge on the Great war or before, so this will be an exciting journey for me.

Unfortunately Both of my Grandparents passed away many years ago, leaving a great void of information regarding thier lives, which I would like to fill.

The information I have on my Grandfather is:

George Leaney Corporal 5232

1st Battalion Queens Own West Kent Regiment

Died 22 February 1915 Aged 34

Commemorated West-Vlaanderen Memorial B.3

If any one can help with any information it would be much appreciated. Any books that could be reccommended, anything at all.

Many thanks, and many thanks to those already that have helped

Steve Leaney

steve_leaney@baa.com

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum,

Cpl L/5232 George Leaney 1st Bn RWK. Born Lamberhurst and enlisted in Tunbridge Wells. He was reported KiA on 22nd February 1915.

At the time of his death the 1st Bn RWK were part of the 13th Bde of the 5th Division. On the 19th February the battalion were in Vlamertinghe and took over trenches in front of Zillebeke. The battalion War Diary records that the trenches were very close together and the enemy (Prussians) more aggressive. On the 22nd a section of trench they were holding was hit by mortar fire killing 18 ORs and 3 officers. I would assume that George was one of these casualties.

Do you have a copy of George's MIC? It can be obtained from the NA here, also it may be available on ancestry.co.uk. A quick online search of the 'burnt documents' would suggest that George's service papers may have survived the Blitz of 1940,

cheers, Jon

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum.

I can save you a couple of quid and send you a copy of your Grandfathers Medal Index Card (MIC). Just send me a pm with your e-mail address. It has on it that he landed in France on 19.09.1914 and KIA 22.02.1915. He was awarded the following medals; Victory, British War and 1914 Star.

The main body of 1st Battalion RWK's landed in France about a month earlier after travelling from Dublin on the outbreak of war. They were involved in the Battle of Mons and subsequent fighting withdrawl which it would appear is when your Grandfather joined the Battalion. From his service/regimental number he may have been either a Reservist or a Terratorial.

I had a quick look for his service records but had no luck, that's not to say they didn't survive the blitz just I can't seem to find them.

There are a few Pals here with more knowledge about RWK's so hopefully they will pick up on the thread and help you out.

Good luck with your research, I am sure you will find it very interesting.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. From CWGC (http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=488776)

Note the cemetery details TUILERIES BRITISH CEMETERY not the West-Vlaanderen Memorial you mentioned in your post.

Name:LEANEY, GEORGE THOMASInitials:G TNationality:United KingdomRank:CorporalRegiment/Service:Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)Unit Text:1st Bn.Age:34Date of Death:22/02/1915Service No:5232Additional information:Husband of Louisa Leaney, of 52, Highams Rd., Tunbridge Wells. Born at Lamberhurst, Sussex.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Sp. Mem. B. 3.Cemetery:TUILERIES BRITISH CEMETERY