Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Bomb Block'

Moston

Taking a guy to Thiepval to see location where his Grandad won a DCM by overcoming a substantial 'bomb block' in Bulgar Trench.

My 'guess' is that it's a barricade made up of whatever is to hand.

Anyone out there for sure know what it is/pictures etc?

Thanks.

I believe your guess is correct.

Something used later in the war when the original two trench systems had intertwined. The barricade would prevent the enemy from working their way down the system. Presumably a "bomb block" would be sited sufficiently far away from your main position in the trench as to be out of range of grenade throwing.

I have it vaguely in mind that there was a basic "standard" timber construction (an "X" shape, maybe) that was wedged across the trench and then filled in with whatever was around. Could be wrong about this, of course - would't be the first time; won't be the last.

John

More usually known as a bomb stop; this has been covered before. It often referred to a barricade used when the same trench was occupied by both sides. It could also be applied to a normal traverse.

In the Richard Holme's book "Tommy" there is a photo of two soldiers standing guard at a Bomb Stop/Barricade, from what i remember it was a mixture of timber and barbed wire, that was also quite high, I presume to stop grenades coming over!

Am i right in thinking that they were placed at intervals so they could be dragged into place when necessary

To quote a fellow member at the SOTCW forum, referring to "bomb stops" at the Manchester Redoubt:

"A Bomb Stop can be either a barricade or a traverse in a trench to stop both the effects of explosions and the progress of attackers. In the Redoubt both were used.

Traverse are the sharp angles in a trench designed to minimize damage from shell bursts and enfilade fire.

Those marked on the map are the sites of the barricades for preventing the

attacker’s progress. These forced him out of the trench depriving him of cover. Why not lift or push it out of the way? If you did the defenders would hurl their own bombs (grenades) at the troops trying this."

[quote name='Rob Connolly' date='Oct 9 2008, 02:18 PM' post='1022817'

Traverse are the sharp angles in a trench designed to minimize damage from shell bursts and enfilade fire.

/quote]

Not I think the most precise definition. I enclose a diagram of a traverse made about 1916. It was attempting to show would be trench 'designers' the need to make it possible to get stretchers round a traverse.

post-9885-1223558829.jpg