Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Marine Numbers

brownag

Looking at the 1914-1918 Merchant Navy Roll of Honour in the Scottish National War Memorial today I noticed that many of the seaman had numbers against their names. The numbers were in the ranges 12**** or 13******.

This is the first time I'd seen MN personel with numbers. Where do these numbers come from, and why doesn't the CWGC give these numbers against their Merchant Navy entries?

I've just recently started researching my great uncle who served with the Merchantile Marine during the Great War.

The only number I've come across is his discharge number, but I would imagine it would be a little redunant in the case of the lads you're looking at. A while back several members of the forum gave me some good contact address for the Merchantile Marine, let me know if you need them.

Jim

The men with numbers are possibly members of the Mercantile Marine Reserve who were issued with numbers (which CWGC do list) as being considered 'military' as a reserve for the RN. I am no naval expert and am willing to be corrected though.

Merchant sailors did not have numbers as they were civilians - their graves only being regarded as war graves under certain circumstances.