Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers 43rd (Garrison) Bn

richard lock

I'm new to all this and am almost totally ignorant ... but am researching the service details of my father, W.E. Lock, in the RF 43rd in 1919. He was transferred from the RWF in Ireland, in Feb 1919 as acting captain. He was apparently mentioned in despatches (gazetted July 8 1919) -- this would be odd if he was still in Ireland wouldn't it? Was the 43rd still in France at that time? (Is there anyone out there?????) Thanks.

Richard Lock

Richard

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay and a word of warning, it can be very addictive ;) .

W. E. Lock's Mention In Despatches was whilst serving with the 43rd Garrison Battalion Royal Fusiliers according to the London Gazette (#31439, 8 July 1919)

Lock, 2nd Lt. (A./Capt.) W. E., 43rd (Garr.) Bn. Link to the Gazette issue is Here

Also found these entries in the London Gazette which suggest he was in France with the 43rd Bn. before February 1919.....

1. London Gazette #31242, 20 March 1919. Link to Gazette is Here

Garrison Battalions.

R. Fus.

43rd Garr. Bn.

Temp. 2nd Lt. W. E Lock, from 3rd Res. Garr. Bn., R.W. Fus., to be temp. 2nd Lt. (with seniority 20 Aug. 1917),

and to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co. 21 Sept. 1918.

Temp. 2nd Lt. (actg. Capt.) W. E. Lock to be temp. Lt. 20 Feb. 1919.

2. London Gazette #31414, 21 June 1919. Link to Gazette is Here

Garrison Battalions.

R. Fus.

43rd Garr. Bn.—

Temp. Lt. W. E. Lock relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt. on ceasing to be empld. 6 May, 1919.

3. London Gazette #32147, 1 December 1920. Link to Gazette is Here

R. Fus.

43rd Garr. Bn.—

Temp. Lt. W. E. Lock relinquishes his commission on completion of service, 2 Dec. 1920, and is granted the rank of Capt.

Regards

Steve

Richard

A little bit more, quoted directly from the Long Long Trail mothersite....

"43rd and 44th (Garrison) Battalions:

Formed in France in May and September 1918 from Garrison Guard Companies, for duty at the five Army HQs. Manned by troops who had been rated as medically unfit for front line duty."

Judging from W. E. Lock's transfer from R.W.F. of 21st September 1918 it looks (to me at least) like he was transferred to the 43rd Battalion before the end of the war.

Steve

There's also a War Diary for the 43rd Battalion which may be worth looking at if you can get to Kew, I can't see that it's available online.

WO95/128

43 (Garrison) Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1918 Aug. - 1919 Sept.

Regards

Steve

There's also a War Diary for the 43rd Battalion which may be worth looking at if you can get to Kew, I can't see that it's available online.

WO95/128

43 (Garrison) Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1918 Aug. - 1919 Sept.

Regards

Steve

Yes, I read that but I was told (by the curator of the RWF museum) that my father was in the RWF till the end of the war and never got to France ... but I have since discovered that he was transferred to the RF in the spring of 1919 -- so it does look as if he was in France, and maybe his 'mention in dispatches' was for something that happened there. Do we know EXACTLY where the 43rd was and when? Thanks a lot Steve -- I'm in Montreal so it's difficult to get to Kew!

Richard

Yes, I read that but I was told (by the curator of the RWF museum) that my father was in the RWF till the end of the war and never got to France ... but I have since discovered that he was transferred to the RF in the spring of 1919 -- so it does look as if he was in France, and maybe his 'mention in dispatches' was for something that happened there. Do we know EXACTLY where the 43rd was and when? Thanks a lot Steve -- I'm in Montreal so it's difficult to get to Kew!

Richard

Richard

H. C. O'Neill makes no mention of the 43rd (Garr.) Battalion in his history of "The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War" so the only way to find out where they were exactly is to get hold of the War Diary, it may even mention his arrival with the Battalion from the RWF.

There is a document copying service provided by the NA for those who can't get there, I hope this is the right link...https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordc...ateoptions.aspx but in my experience they are expensive. Alternatively you could try requesting help on the forum to see if anybody going to Kew can assist, there is usually someone willing and able.

Regards

Steve

• 4 years later...
Guest coldwaterjohn

I hope this is the correct spot to be posting this. It concerns the whereabouts of No 19 Garrison Company, 43rd Royal Fusiliers, BEF on the 31st October 1918. This address is given on a letter of which I have a copy, from one of my uncles to his brother, advising that he has just heard that Turkey has signed the Armistice earlier that day, and that he understands that Armistice terms with Germany can be expected shortly.