NigelS

post-5512-1223391962.jpg

His CWGC record:

Name:MACKINTOSH, ANGUS ALEXANDER

Initials:A A

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Horse Guards

Date of Death:13/10/1918

Additional information:(West side of lot.).

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:L.4140, Southern Div. Officer's Sec.

Cemetery: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

with some further details at : http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/aamackintosh.htm

obviously very well connected, but no indication of what he was doing in Washington at the time - possibly attached to the British embassy? Sad for his wife and young daughter, but no different from the many other's who never returned to their families from fighting at the front.

Doubtless there are "busier" MICs around; lights blue touch paper and retires... :P

NigelS

Nigel - seems he was attached to the Embassy - The Times, Tuesday, Oct 15, 1918; pg. 9; Issue 41921; col C

post-16016-1223421067.jpg

Also - a flu victim probably -The Times, Thursday, Oct 24, 1918; pg. 9; Issue 41929; col B

post-16016-1223421078.jpg

Cheers

Sue

Death Notice in The Washington Post of 15th October 1918 giving funeral arrangements (for Weds 16th) says he was assistant military attache at the British Embassy

Cheers

Sue

I nominate Agernon Joseph Rutherford LAMB Queen's Bay's for busy MICs.

Now we can see what is on the back of these cards, it makes me angrier than ever the PRO (as was) couldn't be bothered to copy them and were willing to throw them away!

I nominate Agernon Joseph Rutherford LAMB Queen's Bay's for busy MICs.

Now we can see what is on the back of these cards, it makes me angrier than ever the PRO (as was) couldn't be bothered to copy them and were willing to throw them away!

Nomination accepted and go to the top :D !

It seems absolutely crazy that "professional" archivists considered disposal without any thought given to the completeness of the information copied; vast numbers of the MICs have nothing on the reverse, but those that do rarely fail to give some useful information, even if it's only a previously unknown address.

NigelS