Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

Ken,

Your efforts in trying to find the right spot sure paid off. The Cem. sunset photo is wonderful!

Very moving.

I am unlikely to ever see these cemeteries & memorials.

The pictures were a revelation.

Is there room for a section on these ?

Would help those who can't travel.

Kath

Thanks, Malcolm.

I found the picture of all the names one of the most chilling.

Kath

Very nice pictures, The one Ken took is striking to me, very nice indeed.

Regards

Mick

Langemarcj again I am afraid.. but as I went to go through the entrance I saw the statues at the back and they threw me completely...

post-8-1078443297.jpg

Slaidburn Yorkshire... last week it just struck me that this was in a village...looked great...

John

post-8-1078443564.jpg

• 1 month later...

Inspired by Ken's earlier piccy in this thread I took these on Good Friday,

Ryan

post-8-1081590086.jpg

and this one.

These were with Digital, I am waiting for 35mm SLR ones to come back to compare similar shots.

Ryan

post-8-1081590144.jpg

Artillery Wood Cemetery, Boezinge - Ypres

5 Oct 2003

Seventeen and a half seconds before I reached my car soaking wet.

Aurel

post-8-1081635082.jpg

Award winner - what a sky - cross perfect - graves superb. No nonsense. This is a MAGNIFICENTLY framed/captured picture. I am totally envious. Nuf said.

Des awed.

Do you get these all the time or is this one a 'major sucess' for yourself? Love to know how you felt when you saw it in print format.

Desmond,

Thanks for the compliments. But of course the credit should go the the sky in the first place, and to the sun, which appeared to be exceptionally co-operative for not more than 5 seconds.

Photography has always been a hobby, though now more practical (photos for the Diggers and the archives and the website.) Actually it was this hobby that brought me to my Great War interest. (Too difficult to explain how.)

But I just was lucky that morning. Even twice. I often take photos of headstones for people who ask me. The position of the sun is always a problem, if one wants the letters on the headstone very readable. (Ideal position of the sun : "8 o'clock" or "4 o'clock" position, the slanting shadows making the letters very readable then.)

So that Sunday morning there was a bright blue sky, and I knew that at Artillery Wood Cem. the sun would be in the 8 o'clock position. So I rushed to the cemetery (in my village, less than 1 mile from where I live)) to take that headstone photo I had promised. And just when I arrived dark clouds arrived too, but I had the time to take that headstone photo. Seconds later the sky began to look like a nightmare. But looking up I saw a tiny hole in the clouds and reckoned that at a given moment the sun would peep through. And indeed, I saw a spot of sunshine in the fields gliding towards Artillery Wood Cem. And there it was ! I did not have more than 3 to 5 seconds to take that photo, and only one. And then I rsuhed home to see the result. And I must say I was quite pleased with it. And then could dry my clothes, for right after taking the photo there was a serious shower pouring down !

However, from a photographic point of view, Caesar's Nose Cem. (Welsh Cem.) is my 'favourite'. Just one of them. At the time (many years ago) it still had that cherry tree...

Aurel

post-8-1081681661.jpg

These are my favorites of my collection of living history pics

post-8-1081684152.jpg

and the second one:

post-8-1081684226.jpg

:) WOW.... These are some really GREAT photos here , love the one with the leaded skys !! :)

This a wonderful thread , I love every picture in it . Mine dosen't compare , but I do like it .

Phil.

post-8-1081689004.jpg

Phil - don't do yourself down. I don't know if you've ever thought about it but ...

look at the background skyline with the dark trees - remind you of anything?

I'll tell you what I think ... if you can't guess.

Like the rows of crosses idea, has the wonderful effect of drawing someone INTO the picture. And the splash of blood red on the front is very symbolic.

But it's the background trees which get me!!

Des

PS Is that the Irish Tower in the piper pic above? The trench is tres bon.

To me it looks like shells exploding but only in green instead of the old sepia brown! The picture is also taken near ground level, just like a soldier looking over the parapet of his trench. See Phil, lots going on in your shot. :)

Jon

it is the irish tower, we were there 2 years ago in a trench in december.

very cold...

bkristoph,

sorry for being not knowledgeable with Irish matters in the Great War: where is that tower and adjacent trench located?

Jon's hit the spot on the shells exploding.

The Irish Tower at Messines.

Jacky - Love the sunburst on the cross and the 'barbed wire' effect of the bare wintry trees. Don't want to be 'spooky' but the Western Front has a 'weirdness' to it which the majority of locals who live there year after year don't notice. But when the weather conditions are right and the right person is behind the camera, boy can it be gothic!!

Des

Thanks Jon and Des :)

I haven't ever noticed that before in the picture . My mind has always been drawn down the corridor of crosses , sometime the words " between the crosses , row on row " comes to mind . It also reminds me of such an amazing day . After going to all these places that I had read about since I was a boy and actually standing in the sacred ground I thought nothing else could happen that day to amaze me . That was until I was sitting in the foyer of the mecure hotel near Perrone with it's huge glass frontage drinking a beer and thinking , when a tourist bus came crashing through the glass into the front of the hotel ! . I never realised before that you can actually flip yourself backwards out of an armchair using only your bum muscles !!. :)

All the pictures here are worthy of a book , it's a lovely thread .

Phil.