Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

Hi Pals

How many of us have got a photograph, that we have taken ourselves, to do with the great war that we are particularly proud of?
Here is mine, taken at ?????? (guess where?) on the 10th of November 2003
It would be better if the gent left midfield wasn't there, but I suppose he adds to depth and scale

post-8-1078276137.jpg

This is very hard for me. Out of 991 pictures I have on file I've narrowed it down to three.

Last Post

post-8-1078278435.jpg

Sorry I know you asked only for one but I love taking pictures and I have soo many it was to hard to select just one.

Stoner Posted on Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:08:57 +0000

Here is mine, taken at ?????? (guess where?) on the 10th of November 2003

It would be better if the gent left midfield wasn't there, but I suppose he adds to depth and scale

Looks to me like Langemarck German Cemetery.

I think one of my fav's is this one - sums it all up doesn't it...

cnv00001.jpg

Ryan

Nice perspective of Tyne Cot Ryan.

Stoner I agree the chap in the middle ground gives your shot good depth.

I noticed my pictures were a lot darker on the forum than they are on my computer screen. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix it? The picture of Teddy & Stu in Thiepval Wood lost a lot of its impact because of this as did the contrast in the sepia picture of the 44th ID monument.

Thanks,

Jon

Toss up between this one.......

post-8-1078337106.jpg

or this one........website of WF photos hopefully up and running soon.

post-8-1078337226.jpg

I don't know why an uploaded image should appear different unless the board resamples it on uploading it...

Here's another perspective... ;)

meningate2.jpg

I really like this one, carrying on the Vimy theme.

post-8-1078342707.jpg

last one I promise......

post-8-1078342878.jpg

Toss up between this one.......

mattpdixon, Of the two I like the poppy!

The pictures keep getting better and better. There is some real talent out there in the Regiment.

My hat is off to each of you, :)

Jon

Very effective pictures here!

Are you people using digital or SLR cameras? And are some of them taken with wide angle lenses; if so, how wide?

The Flers one - did you use a filter or were you fortunate to be there in an interesting light?

On the uploading point, I am very aware that the ones on my website lose because we have optimised the uploading time, so that they aren't taking forever. This is a deliberate sacrifice. Presumably the ones on this thread look different on other people's monitors / PCs. I suppose I am asking this because it may be time to buy a decent digital camera... ouch. I much prefer the creativity of SLR.

Thank you for sharing them.

Gwyn

Guest Biplane pilot

Superior work, gentlemen. These are worthy of inclusion in a professionally-produced album. I'm pleased to be here.

Are you people using digital or SLR cameras? And are some of them taken with wide angle lenses; if so, how wide?

The photos of mine above were all done on a Nikon F401s SLR with Sigma 28-80mm lens, so not that wide.

I have now got a Nikon F65 and Nikon F50 (spare body) as of November last year. Last month I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4500 from the US due to excellent £-$ rate... I paid £221 against £399.99 minimum in the UK. The main reason I bought this particular model was simply as it is one of the few digital cameras that has a delayed shutter over 15 seconds, in fact up to 5 minutes on 'bulb' setting.

This is very important for astrophotography which I am also interested in...

Here's an off topic pic (sorry but it is cute!) from last winter (no snow though :( )

Ryan

post-8-1078356941.jpg

The Flers one - did you use a filter or were you fortunate to be there in an interesting light?

Dragon,

It was natural lighting. I took it just as the very last bits of twilight were fadding. I'm still at the office but I've got a wider color shot which I'll post when I get home that shows this quite well.

Jon

I love the Menin Gate one Ken - perfect!

Ryan

I second that about the Menin Gate, wonderful, but the setting sun in the cemetery is awesome.

Thanks for the kind comments.

The sunset one was almost a farce. I was at Dantzig Alley Cemetery late in the afternoon last October and decided to try and get a 'sunset over the cemetery' picture. But, I had to find a cemetery facing the right way and to be able to get into the right position to get the shot. "Easy", I thought, with so many cemeteries to choose from.

I ended up tearing round the Somme like a lunatic, pulling up outside each cemetery, looking for the sun, cursing and driving on again. I drove to Thiepval, byut the trees got in the way, Beaumont Hamel, but knew the sun was going to disappear before I got up onto the ridge and finally I got to this cemetery which is one of the ones just west of the Serre-Mailly Maillet Road, beyond the Sucrerie.

I knew that if I didn't get it at this cemetery then I would have to give up. I wasn't sure the light was right, but luck was with me.

Ken