Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A History 3rd Battalion The Connaught Rangers

mhifle

Thank you Mark.

I'm going to order a copy of 'The Connaught Rangers' by Jourdain & Fraser'.

In the mean time, if you have the time, could you have a look through my thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155182&st=0&p=1496183&hl=connaught&fromsearch=1entry1496183

and give your opinion of my assumption therein?

Regards,

Ken

• 1 year later...

Private John MOYNIHAN 5/354 was transferred to the Devonshire Regiment towards the end of the war. He also served as a Corporal in the National Army of Ireland 1922-24.

Private John MOYNIHAN 5/354 was transferred to the Devonshire Regiment towards the end of the war. He also served as a Corporal in the National Army of Ireland 1922-24.

Hi,

Thanks for this extra information.

Regards Mark

• 6 months later...

Congrats to the contributors of this topic--magnificent work. Just a wee correction on a Ballina Connaught Ranger No. 3950 John Fleming who was mentioned as having been killed near the village of Serain on 8th October, 1918. The soldier who was killed was MICHAEL FLEMING. John, No. 3947, 2nd Battn. Connaught Rangers, had lost his life on the 13th November, 1914, and is remembered on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Can anyone say what the story is regarding Jourdain, who wrote the regimental history. He remained a major from before the start of the war until 1917 at least, and only got a promotion to Lt. Col. at the very end. Seems very odd/unusual given casualty rates - there must have been some black mark against him?

I think that in Tommy, Richard Holmes explains that you had to have been marked for promotion to Lt-Col (or rather to command a battalion). I think this was through the adjutant-general's department. Not so much a black mark against him, but the lack of the positive mark in his favour. You could have acting command of a battalion as senior officer present for duty on many occasions, but without that recommendation for promotion, you'd never be confirmed in the rank

I think that in Tommy, Richard Holmes explains that you had to have been marked for promotion to Lt-Col (or rather to command a battalion). I think this was through the adjutant-general's department. Not so much a black mark against him, but the lack of the positive mark in his favour. You could have acting command of a battalion as senior officer present for duty on many occasions, but without that recommendation for promotion, you'd never be confirmed in the rank

Thanks - but I think that this is a distinction without a difference, in that given the horendous casualty rates, there must have been some positive reason NOT to say someone was qualified. What is truly odd is that he was already the CO commanding the Connaught Depot in August 1914, which might have been taken as an indication of good prospects. IIRC, Jourdain did actually command a Connaught battalion in action in a frontal attack in Gallipoli, when he was the senior surviving officer at the time.

Gazetted Lieut.-Col. 2nd Bn. 6th March 1920.

Wow - he went through the entire war as a major until 1920! And that despite being in action multiple times, commanding a battalion in action, pre-war major, etc. - there has to be something that was held against him.

Jourdain -

"When the Regiment was re-formed after the war, the 5th Battalion was created the 2nd Battalion in France, by order of the War Office, on account of its gallantry in Gallipoli, Serbia, Bulgaria, on the Salonika front, in Palestine, and in France, but it was only in 1920 that I was gazetted substantive Lieut.-Colonel. I had commanded the 1st Battalion for one week or so in peace time, but I had also commanded the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Galway Militia, 5th (S). Battalion, 6th (S.) Battalion, and the Depot. I don't think any other officer has done this, and I have held command of a battalion for nearly eight years of gazetted command, and for many months before that while my Commanding Officer was sick or on leave."

He was also with the 16th Bn. Royal Welch Fus. 29th June 1917 - 5th December 1917 though I'm not sure if he was in command. It does seem strange but then I don't know enough about the workings of the British Army to make comment.

John

• 1 year later...
Guest dshep1099

Does anyone have any information on Lt B G MacDowel, Connaught Rangers? Killed 22/9/15 and buried at Caberet Rouge Souchez. Always assumed be was killed in Battle of Loos but that did not begin until 25/9/15. Any clues most welcome.

Does anyone have any information on Lt B G MacDowel, Connaught Rangers? Killed 22/9/15 and buried at Caberet Rouge Souchez. Always assumed be was killed in Battle of Loos but that did not begin until 25/9/15. Any clues most welcome.

WO 95/3923 War diary for 22nd Sep 1915 Edwards Road: Lt B G MacDowell while reconnoitring and cutting German wire, fired on by machine gun and hit in several places. Died on the way to aid post.

• 8 years later...

Here are photos of Thomas Flynn 3953 (without rifle) and George Flynn 3779. 

Also the Daily Sketch photo of all seven brothers.

regards

anthony

Thomas Flynn possible court martial.jpg

George Flynn daily sketch.jpg

Seven Flynn Brothers hires 1.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for the issue dates for service number 6298 for the Connaught Rangers, and the same for 379580 in the Labour Corps. Can anyone help?

On 08/11/2010 at 10:37, mhifle said:

the 3 volume 'The Connaught Rangers' by Jourdain & Fraser.

These volumes are now available online. Click on the links

The Connaught Rangers Vol 1 By: Lt Col H.F.N. Jourdain & Edward Fraser 1924

The Connaught Rangers Vol 2 By: Lt Col H.F.N. Jourdain and Edward Fraser 1926

The Connaught Rangers, Volume 3 [1928, British Army] By: Lieut.-Colonel H F N Jourdain and Edward Fraser 1928

Maureen