Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Request for info about OBs for August 1914

Guest John Ellis

Guest John Ellis

Hello, I am a newbie here, and this is my first post... :huh:

I have browsed the forums here for a while, and done the usual Google searches, but what I need does not seem to be laid out exactly the way I want it. I am creating a computer wargame based on WW1 and need to get some basic info on the starting strengths of the main combatants as at 1/8/1914, at the divisional level.

So far, I seem to have gathered that the German forces on the Western Front consisted of 68 divisions (44 regular, 22 reserve and 2 landwehr), those on the Eastern Front of 16 divisions (6 regular and 10 reserve) and the Northern/Central Reserve of 4 divisions (2 reserve, 2 landwehr). I would appreciate confirmation of this, or otherwise. There seem to be a lot more Landwehr regiments than could be accomodated by those 4 divisions, for example...

I have fairly good info for the British and Belgians, but would like some similar data for the French, Turkish and Russian armies. Any help gratefully received.... :D

Nafziger Homepage

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Try the above link to the Nafziger Collection. I can personally recommend both the OOB's and the service. He charges a fee of I think .25 Cents a page or so.

Take care,

Neil

Have been doing much the same for the last few months. I can send you a spreadsheet of what I have so far on the complete German Army structure if you like. I can tell you that many of the Landwehr regiments were held against Gemischte (Mixed?) Landwehr Brigaden attached at Army, or Grosser Hauptquartier level, not as part of divisions.

You can also try these pages (I found them useful):

A Pocket German Army - excellent coverage of some formations. Trying to cross reference the peacetime corps structure with the wartime (which I am doing at the moment) is proving difficult.

Die Schlacht von Tannenberg

The Great European and World War

For the Russians try here The Russian Army in World War I to start with.

And the Austro-Hungarians are here: Austro-Hungarian Land Forces 1848-1918

The French and Turks have proved difficult so far, but L'Armee Francaise is not bad - a little patchy, though.

For more general information, I found these sites had interesting tidbits: The World War I Document Archive

Das Detsche Reich und der 1.Weltkrieg 1914-1918 and I can't wait for progress on Zeltbahn.net - German Infantry Divisions 1914-1918

Have fun, and let us know what you find on the Turks :)

Guest John Ellis

Duckman, thanks, that's excellent. I had found one or two of those sites only, so far.

The Landwehr thing I had begun to suspect - as my game will be at Divisional level for the basic unit I will have to represent them by a few garrison-type units of lesser strength....and I will let you know about the Turk. Do I understand you to say you are developing a wargame too?

Edit: Oh, and the spreadsheet would be excellent. I guess you could attach it to a post here or send it to the email addy in my profile. Thanks! :D

Edited by John Ellis

Hi John,

No, not developing a wargame, though I'll be interested to see the results of your venture. Just meant I'd been trolling through some of the same info - for my own interest.

I'll send you the spreadsheet as it is in the next few days, but be aware that it is a long way from complete. Might save you some hack work though.

One other decent site (at divisional level) is Belgian Fronts

Guest John Ellis

Duckman - you'll need to play Civilization II to see my game when it is released. If you do, I'll post you a link.

Thanks in advance for the spreadsheet and also for the extra link.

John

Guest John Ellis

Duckman, do you need an email for me...? It should be in my profile here, or at least you can send me an email via this forum....

Hi John,

Sorry I've been off the radar for a while, real life got in the way for a bit.

I finished tweaking the file for your use last night (as far as it goes so far). It is still only complete for OHL, GHQ, and 1st, 2nd, 8th and Nord Armies. Lots more info on the shelf to be embedded, so there will be v1.1, 1.2 etc to follow.

Only problem is, I'm too dumb to work out how to upload it, or attached it to an email to you (through this forum). I'll talk to our C.I.G.S. (Chris Baker) and see what we see.

Coming to you soon.

cheers

Duckman

PS: "you'll need to play Civilization II" - well doesn't everybody need to? Still my favourite waste of time on a 'puter. :)

*edit* PPS:Late mail - looks like it's just a corrupted disk or drive. Nuisance value only, will send the details once that gets fixed. 'Puters, gotta love 'em...

Guest John Ellis

Duckman,

No worries - and thanks. Yeah, send the info as you have it. If you have problems attaching the file, I can post my name@NOSPAM.isp.com type email address in this thread....

John

PS, Glad to see that you are a CivFan, maybe you will want to run up the eventual game I produce to see how I've mangled your data! :)

Hi again John,

I wouldn't be posting it here, but do you want to shoot me a PM with that address? I think it will make life easier.

FYI, the website I got most of this from has added masses of information in the last week or two. I'll send you what I have now, but now I can easily add 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th armies. So v1.1 will be much sooner than otherwise. 7th army should be easy to work out by a process of elimination.

cheers

Duckman