Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Panmure Estate gates

DMannus

Folks

I once lived in Angus (beautiful it is). I used to cycle regularly past the gates of the Panmure Estate,Monikie. One day I was speaking to a friend at the time who told me they had been never opened since the death of the laird in WW1. Sure enough, if you have a look they are overgrown and very shut. I seem to remember an overgrown driveway behind them with a gate lodge?

Any Scottish pals shed any light on this one, perhaps a photo?

Thanks

David

Hi David

Just google Panmure Estate,and you will find some great pics/video of the estate.Beautiful it is right enough.Appears the gates won't open until a descendant of Charles Edward Stuart arrives.Not sure if your ww1 story,true.It may be,and the Bonnie Prince Charlie story is a tourist tale.

100 % sure not tourist tale - 0% sure it is true - can someone post a photo?

David

PS Thanks for your comments folks.

100 % sure not tourist tale - 0% sure it is true - can someone post a photo?-no urgency since its dark at the moment!! :huh:

David

You are a star Skipman...and quicker on the keyboard than me!

Thanks

David

The Jacobite tale is not unique. In the Scottish Borders, Traquair House has a set of bear gates which will not be opened until a Stuart occupies the throne.

post-12111-1223150410.jpg

I am not trying to make any point other than the 'closed gate' scenario was not unique. I don't know about Panmure, but it ought to be relatively easy for someone on the spot to find out.

I see- are you saying it was part of the design?

David

What about the WW1 link-Rubbish?

For what it is worth. There is no mention in Gliddon's " The Aristocracy and the Great War", of the family which owned Panmure House. Several of the families of Angus are mentioned, including the Bowes-Lyons, as one would expect. Gliddon himself says that his is only a selection of the Scottish aristocracy's involvement so it is not impossible that there was a WW1 connection but perhaps it is more likely that the old story was transferred to a ' new ' war.

.Hi it was the Maule Family ( de Maules ) who acquired the baronies of Panmure and Bervie,the house was built in 1661 and demolished in 1855.The gates are said never to have been opened since the 4th Earl of Panmure fled to France in 1715 after supporting James Francis Edward Stewart the old Pretender .Never heard of a WW1 connection.

I think it's about time we closed this one for good!..(bites knuckles-pun intended).

Thanks to you all -you've been great- great story..and fond memories - I prefer to believe the WW1 myth - fits in with the place - as the great W Connolly jnr would say - 'Gives it a bit of funk, ya know, a bit a soul' (para phrased).

Oh, and the good friend who told me the story..well I can't name him obviously.. lets give him a cover name..'Paul Scobbie' -you know who you are :lol:

David

.Hi it was the Maule Family ( de Maules ) who acquired the baronies of Panmure and Bervie,the house was built in 1661 and demolished in 1855.The gates are said never to have been opened since the 4th Earl of Panmure fled to France in 1715 after supporting James Francis Edward Stewart the old Pretender .Never heard of a WW1 connection.

Ahem, 1955. I admit to being aged but not immortal. Seems we were wasting our time anyway. Our friend from N.I. prefers to ignore the facts we dug up. Ah well.

Ahem, 1955. I admit to being aged but not immortal. Seems we were wasting our time anyway. Our friend from N.I. prefers to ignore the facts we dug up. Ah well.

Yip hands up you`r spot on it was 1955 a slip o the digit on my part and I think your spot on with your other thought,such is life.

truthergw and dundeesown Folks - you were not wasting your time -very interesting posts and I thank you for them - know a wee bit more about Scottish history than you might think. Just in a small way a bit disappointed - though it was a good yarn (the WW1 one) the other context is by far more interesting and wasn't something I knew. Just this afternoon I was speaking to a Monifieth fella here and telling about it and very impressed he was.

By the way I did what Skipman suggested and 'Googled' it - so I read up on some of the history and the photos etc.

Once again thank you for what was, I think, an enjoyable post. If I really really have missed something PM me.

David