Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting field find

old-ted

Hello all, can anyone identify the vehicle that this I.D. plate came from? It was found in a field near Ginchy. Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Regards

John

post-28333-1223136105.jpg

Hello all, can anyone identify the vehicle that this I.D. plate came from? It was found in a field near Ginchy. Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Regards

John

IIRC Daimler made a touring car in the 20s with the Designation "TB something...." [edit quick google tells me it was the TB 6-21]

Hi Ghost, I can't think how the id plate would have got where it was if it was on a touring car. Your tractor would seem more likely. Do you know when they were manufactured and if they were perhaps used during WW1 or, to fill the craters/trenches in after WW1?

Thanks for both replies

John.

They were designed as artillery tractors in WW1, but failed when they stuck in the mud. Caterpillar tracks were fitted and the tank evolved. I do know that the 105HP engine was used on a number of WW1 vehicles, doubled up in some. The serial number looks a bit high for a WW1 vehicle, so the above car pic may be from an informed source.

Alan

Sorry Ghost but the "infomed source" was me having a google moment. I'm hoping that a WW1 transport expert will pick up.

John.

• 3 months later...

the ident plate is a standard BSA Daimler item fitted on all Daimlers of the greatwar - mid 20's (may be later) vehicles.

my c1917 20hp Daimler lorry type CB 22, project has one left on the accelerator pedal mounting, but should have one on each wheel and on all major items.

They were designed as artillery tractors in WW1, but failed when they stuck in the mud. Caterpillar tracks were fitted and the tank evolved. I do know that the 105HP engine was used on a number of WW1 vehicles, doubled up in some. The serial number looks a bit high for a WW1 vehicle, so the above car pic may be from an informed source.

Designed and used as artillery tractors in Britain and France. Also used in some early experiments that eventualy led to the tank but never fitted with tracks.

There is allegedly an ex WD 20HP Daimler in Gloucestershire. Is that the one that you have? There was a just post war 20HP Daimler in Dorset that has gone on to pastures new.

I am told that that the TB is a large pre war car (also 20HP) that were used by the WD during the war. I understand that they were still making them as late as 1923.

Tim (too)

ours came out of a collection that was in one of the big sheds at Chattham Dock yard, it had been used as a farm trailer up till the 60's and then abandoned. The chap who had bought it was going to restore it but it was too much work so he was going to chop it in to a trailer using just the front axle to go behind his 1930's lorry.

yes I know of the one in Gloucestershire (well I heard of it when we bought ours) we tried to get contact and access but no joy.

Is there one in the Science Museum reserve collection ar Wroughton or is this another tale?

Well thank goodness you saved it from such an unpleasant fate.

Off the top of my head i think i have seen another one. I cant remember if it was Wroughton or an open air museum (like Beamish). I remember it being blue. I will see if i can find a photo of it.

Wroughton is a bit of a loss really. The deep storage sheds are hardly ever open anymore and we got shouted out for getting too close to their WW1 FWD Model B. "Do not touch the object!!!!!" shouted the female guide when we peeked at the engine.

Tim Gosling