Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 Can Inf

nshighlander

Almost all my books are pack.I`m looking for a shory history on this unit.Or you can point me to where I can find it.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave:

The 5th Battalion was the only unit in the 1st Division that didn't publish a history. I think the only information you're going to find is their war diaries (1914 - 1919) found here.

If you happen to find a copy of the 5th Battalion's history please post the information and I'll update my CEF histories database.

Garth

Hi Garth

Is there a reserve Btn to the 5th CEF? Like the Toronto Scottish to the 75th.I just found a trio to the 5th.I would love to find a picture to this guy.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I have a 1930's reunion publication that is fairly detailed. It gives a nominal roll of surviving members and their occupations. I have other original 5th Bn. material including some photos, that include thier mascot-'old bill'.

Im in Florida on vacation at the moment, but on my return will consult my stuff if you want?

regards

David

JaniceL sent me a message that has made my week. Her tip helped me find references to the following book:

Title - The Canadian Fifth

Publisher - 5th Canadian Overseas Battalion

Author - Unknown

Year published - 1916

Number of pages - 93

Cover - Cloth

Description - History of the 5th Canadian (Western Cavalry) Infantry Battalion, CEF, during WW1. Illustrated with b/w photographs, portraits, line drawings, nominal roll, honours and awards.

Here's some information on the 5th battalion obtained from here.

At the outbreak of the First World War, the 52nd Regiment (Prince Albert Volunteers) provided troops for reinforcement to the 5th Battalion and to the 53rd Overseas Battalion. The 53rd was later amalgamated into the 15th Reserve Battalion providing troops to a number of different Battalions on the western front. The 105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers) became part of the 11th Overseas Battalion that was used to reinforce the 5th Battalion, Western Cavalry. In addition, the 16th Light Horse from Battleford was amalgamated along with the seven western Militia cavalry units into the 5th Battalion, Western Cavalry.

Throughout the First World War the 5th Battalion was reinforced by men from northern Saskatchewan As part of the 2nd Brigade, 1st Canadian Division, the 5th Battalion fought as infantry due to a lack of mounts. With the high percentage of men coming from Saskatchewan, the 5th Battalion later became known as the Red Saskatchewan. The 5th Battalion served in France and Flanders with the 2nd Brigade, 1st Canadian Division from 14 February 1915 until the Armistice. A member of the 5th Battalion, Sgt. Raphael L. Zengel, MM, won the Victoria Cross on 9 August 1918.

Thanks for your help Janice. :D

Garth

P. S. Does anyone have a copy of this history?

Thats great.I`m looking for a picture of Pte J Bradley.If you do find the book.I`ll keep an eye open here for it.Garth thanks for the info.

Cheers

Dave

Garth - What a wonderful link! I have had medals to Lt F.H.Reed, 5 Can Inf KIA 2/10/18 for 12 years and never been able to find his cause of death. And there in the diary is the description of a shell landing in a shellhole occupied by 3 officers and 3 batmen, killing Lt Reed. Thanks a bundle! Phil B

Guest JaniceL

Dave and Garth..

I just wondered about an inter-libray loan. I am not sure the cost to borrow if your library could find a copy. I think you just simply ask your library to do an inter-library loan search.

Janice

Hi Phil:

Isn't serendipity a marvelous thing. :D You think you've exhausted every lead and then when you least expect it...

I assume your man is Francis Henry Reed. Have you ordered his service records from the National Archives of Canada?

Garth

Hi Garth

Some of the paper work on 12964 John Bradley 5th CEF,was from a law office in Vancouver.The name Rankin Dean & Robertson Barristers Solicitors Not.They are leting DVA that this guy has died.DOD May 27 1968.I wonder if in is buried in Vancouver?Is this law office still around?

Cheers

Dave

Garth:- Yes, I`ve got the records. It`s Frederick Hatherington Reed, enlisted 18/12/14, embarked 9/5/15 to 5bn, promoted Cpl 14/12/17, commissioned 20/8/18 (OTC, Bexhill), temp Lt, Sask Regt 26/8/18, to 5Bn 15/9/18, taken on strength 5Bn 16/9/18, KIA 2/10/18. As a private, he served in the battalion bombers, had a short spell in Brigade Salvage and with 2 Can Inf Bde Hqrs (bombers). (Don`t know why a Bde HQ would have bombers!)

The poor chap was killed after only 16 days commissioned service.

Thanks again. Phil B

Some of the paper work on 12964 John Bradley 5th CEF,was from a law office in Vancouver.The name Rankin Dean & Robertson Barristers Solicitors Not.They are leting DVA that this guy has died.DOD May 27 1968.I wonder if in is buried in Vancouver?Is this law office still aroound?

Hi Dave:

Rankin, Dean & Robertson aren't listed in the Vancouver phone book. I checked the 2003/04 British Columbia Law Society listings and they don't appear in the book.

Here's John Bradley's obituary from The Vancouver Sun, Thursday, May 30, 1968, page 53:

Bradley—In hospital, May 27, 1968, John Bradley, aged 81 years. Pioneer resident of North Burnaby, late residence 9N Grosvenor Ave. Survived by many friends. Funeral service Saturday, June 1, at 10:30 am from the Burnaby Funeral Directors Chapel, 4267 Hastings St., North Burnaby. Mr. Pritchett officiating, followed by cremation. No flowers by request.

Garth

Sorry about the quality of the attachment. I had to copy the obituary from film to paper then scan the image off the printed page.

post-2-1078890498.jpg

Rankin, Dean & Robertson

Garth, I would bet that Rankin is the now-deceased curmudgeon/champion Harry Rankin. His son still practices law (recent clients being the Stanley Park Three).

Garth

Thanks for the leg work.That adds lot.Does it give in the info were he was living?

In his medal group he had a Army,Navy Airforce Association Life Member medal.Is there any groups out there like that?I wonder if they would have a picture of this guy?Maybe the legion would know <_<

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dave